Ted Williams 7.5hp 217/58588-0 1976? Stuck in gear

ctbeutel

Recruit
I acquired a Ted Williams 7.5hp motor. I believe it is a 1976 but I am not 100% sure. The serial number is 6D-056408. I rebuilt the carb and the engine runs strong. My only issue is now it is stuck in gear. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Anybody have a manual. I tried looking on sears direct but the images are almost useless. I don't want to tear it all down without having some idea of what I'm getting into. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to email me at ctbeutel@gmail.com

Thanks.

fishrdan

Admiral
That (Eska) outboard uses a clutch that's no longer available, so it can't be repaired 100% unless you can find a used clutch on Ebay. The "repair" is to remove the clutch, weld/braze the clutch solid, then re-install it. Since your outboard is in drive all the time, the clutch is locked up, like it was welded, perhaps by the previous owner. The downside to this repair is that anytime you start the outboard, it's in drive turning the prop

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
disconnect the shift shaft like you were gonnna replace the water pump implellor and remove the foot. see if you can move the lower shift shaft up and down. I sent you a copy of the manual.

Last edited:

haroldpowell

Cadet
disconnect the shift shaft like you were gonnna replace the water pump implellor and remove the foot. see if you can move the lower shift shaft up and down. I sent you a copy of the manual.
Sure would like to have a manual for my 217/58588-0
7.5 Ted Williams. Just got mine running perfect. Carb, impeller and I took it apart to many times additude!🙂
boss284@embarqmail.com

Attachments

• 20210807_105541.mp4
    49.4 MB · Views: 17