Gamefisher 5hp

TomC853

Recruit
This is my first time on iboats and I'm new, so sorry if I have some repeat questions. I've spent a few hours trying to read through old forums on trying to get some info ref a motor I acquired for free. Its a gamefisher 5hp model 217-586613 serial 68004103. I think its around an 86 with a Tecumseh carb??? I have a 3hp gamefisher currently and it runs like a beast.

The 5hp not so much. The guy I got it from said that he didn't know much about it. I'm having issues in a couple of areas, all which I think are carb related. When put to cold start, it starts after a few pulls, ill put it to normal and give it throttle and it dies. I'll put it to normal and start it and it will idle but once you give it gas it dies.

I think its a carb issue?? I've tried locating a complete carb rebuild kit or if possible buy a whole new carb.

The other issue that I've encountered is that when I prime the bulb I get gas that leaks from around the fitting. Since I've only had an outboard with a tank on it, having one with a line and connection is all new to me.

Im in Dayton ohio, any help that anyone could provide would be great!

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Pull that carb and clean, a stuck closed float may cause your problem with the running issues as well a a stuck needle valve or dirty where it seats. As far as the primmer bulb i would go get a new hose and bulb assembly and throw out the old one. There may be a filter in the fuel pump housing that needs cleaning or replaced and inspect the pump diaphragm for pin holes or any other damage. Be careful here cause an old diaphragm may tear easily and getting a replacment may be difficult.
It's possible your sucking air where your primer bulb connection is leaking as well as preasure bleeding off after priming bulb. Make sure your fuel tank vent is open cause a closed vent is like trying to suck thick ice cream through a straw.

Last edited: