1962 Gale 40 HP

Minisue

Recruit
Hello all! I have replaced the points, coil, plugs, carb, fuel lines, vacuum hoses on a 62 40 HP Gale. It runs like a top while in low speed. When I throttle it up it cuts out just as it reaches top end speed. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I will mention I'm at 5280' above sea level.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Is the vacuum cut-out switch wired properly? Is the safety switch adjusted properly?

Attachments

• photo227700.jpg
    photo227700.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 1

Minisue

Recruit
The vacuum cut-out appears to be wired properly. How do you adjust the safety switch? Thanks for your help!

Minisue

Recruit
The kill switch appears to be disengaged while in full throttle. I'm assuming this is the problem? How do I adjust the switch? Do I have to pull the flywheel?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The safety switch should be closed at anything below start throttle position, and be open after the start position. This ensures that the vacuum cut-out switch will not function at high speed. At the same time, the safety switch prevents electric starting at high throttle settings.

Minisue

Recruit
Then yes the cut-out switch is adjusted properly. I'm wondering if the high RPM's are causing the switch to throw? I honestly don't know what else to check.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps a bit of explanation is due. The vacuum cut-out switch is there to prevent runaway (uncontrollable revving) in neutral. As suggested, it does this by sensing manifold vacuum and cutting out one cylinder if runaway is detected. The problem is, in some situations, there could be high enough vacuum to cause it to operate at higher throttle settings, like at cruise throttle setting. To prevent that, the vacuum cutout switch is mounted on plastic (not grounded). The safety switch acts as the ground for the vacuum cut-out switch. At low throttle settings, the safety switch is closed, the vacuum cut-out is functional, and ready to react to runaway, should it occur. At higher throttle settings, the safety switch opens, which disables the vacuum cut-out switch, preventing unwanted operation.

All this to say that if everything is connected and adjusted properly, all this is out of the picture and isn't doing anything at high throttle settings. In other words, it is not causing your cutting out at high speed.

So, look for something else.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
When you say it "cuts out" do you mean it dies? Or just loses power (probably dropping a cylinder)?

One possibility is bad plug wires. The voltage they need to carry goes up with RPMs so if the insulation is bad they can start to arc through.

Minisue

Recruit
So, the motor cuts out when i throttle it up just as it's about to plain out. If i pull the throttle back to the start position it will stay running. If i leave it maxed pout it will die. I'm thinking the diaphragm I the fuel pump may be hard our torn. I've not had a chance to check it out. I'm thinking the fuel pump is not keeping up. Ill keep y'all updated with what i find.