Sea King 5Hp Motor Model GG18732A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWBass

Recruit
I have one of these motors. I have done some research on it. I found out it is made by Gale for Montgomery Wards. I also know they closely match a Evinrude Johnson for parts. It hasn't ran in quite a while. Nothing is wrong with it as far as I know. Its a hand me down from my dad so I know it has been taken care of. My question is where can I get a manual for this thing. What year is it? I found a big list of Gale motors with Model Numbers on the list. Claims they all are on this list. The model number that I have is not on this list. (GG18732A) All it really needs is a new slow speed adjustment button, its just broke in half. but still fully functional. Its more a cosmetic problem then anything. I also don't really know what the gas oil ratio is to mix for this motor. Any info would be appreciated...as I intend to put it to use again got some Top Water Bass Fishing to do. Will change the plugs and do a general tune up on it. Then it should be good to go Bass Chasing. Nevermind the link I was trying to post picture of the motor but link don't work.

Mod EDIT: Redirect link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I know, that model number shows up all over the place. Odd, since it doesn't exist (officially). Part number for the knob is 553789 listed as NLA. You can see parts lists and service manual at http://www.richardlpaquette.ca/vikingmanuals.htm (Viking is the same motor with a different name)

Fuel mix is 24:1.

EDIT: It is somewhere around 1960-1963. Heck, they are all alike anyway

EDIT EDIT: Look at the serial number. It should start off with two numbers followed by XX. Reverse the two numbers and you get the year. 36XX reversed is 63XX...1963

Last edited:

TWBass

Recruit
Thanks for the info. The model number dont exist? Its stamped right on the identification tag on the motor. They must have stamped those tags on a Friday at 3:59 pm. :) Ill look at serial number also. Thanks again!

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Nah, I meant they don't exist in any of the published lists.

TWBass

Recruit
Oh... ok I got the serial number it's 26X847674. So that means it's a 62. (There is only 1 X) I'm having trouble finding that part for the slow speed control knob. What do u mean listed as NLA?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, my bad. One "X" is right. NLA means No Longer Available. Matter of fact, I had a bit of trouble finding one of those knobs for my motor too. Your best bet is posting a free want ad on the Antique Outboard Club's website Classified Ads forum. That's where I got mine. www.aomci.org

Steve Pat

Recruit
I've got similar problems. Engine Ser.# 85X733400, I think it's got an issue with the cam shaft?? Bottom piston is not connected. I'm in the process of tearing it down but have no idea where to find rebuild parts....gaskets...
Any suggestions??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I've got similar problems. Engine Ser.# 85X733400, I think it's got an issue with the cam shaft?? Bottom piston is not connected. I'm in the process of tearing it down but have no idea where to find rebuild parts....gaskets...
Any suggestions??

The suggestion is to start a thread of your own because the OP's problems in this inactive thread are not anything like yours. You don't have a broken Low Speed Adjustment button.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.