Old Seaking sluggish on lake

tdwcacher

Cadet
I have a 6hp seaking. In a bucket of water it will rev up to full speed, and in gear it will rev up as well to full speed (have to be careful, it empties the water bucket quick at full in gear. Then get to lake and crank it open, barely gets faster than idle. In neutral it will rev up, but in gear on water, will not. Where do I go from here? When I first got the boat/motor, it never broke any speed records, but would rev up. Thought I had drag due to some holes on the aluminum strakes, but plugged up and still same.

The feedback I got here was dead on. No fire on my lower cylinder. I thought I checked spark good, but did not. Called Franz Marine (Also in some chains on here as place for parts), he had a set of points and I ordered them. Installed last night and started up. Both firing and running smooth. Next check is on the water but looks like I am all set! Great forum!

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What Sea King? Eska, Clinton, or Chrysler, or?? If it is a twin cylinder, it most likely is running on one cylinder.

tdwcacher

Cadet
Chrysler I believe. Model number was VWB26905 I think. SN started with 76, which I think correlates to a 67 year model. Interesting about one cylinder. It does not seem to run "rough" like I would expect one cylinder only running to sound like. Would it still sound semi normal with only one firing? I can definitely troubleshoot that down a bit, might have fouled plug or points that shifted open or something.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yep, that's a Chrysler. You wouldn't be the first one not to realize it is running on one. They'll run surprisingly well on one, just no power. Check for spark on both cylinders and spark plugs. If no spark on one, you will have to pull the flywheel to see what's wrong.

tdwcacher

Cadet
Thanks for the advice! I can easily check that one out. Hopefully just need a plug or adjust/clean points. Hard to find part for these guys...Really does amaze me that it can run smooth on one! That really threw me off. I will check it out today after work and let you know

tdwcacher

Cadet
Pulled plugs one at a time, was seeing spark when I pulled cord on each plug. It did seem like I missed it occasionally or it was just not there. Went through the points, cleaned them up with some 1000 grit wet sand. Sprayed them off, reset them. Looked around for anything else looking burnt or out of sort. All looked ok. Changed plugs and took out to lake. Same thing going on. I have had other folks say clean the carb (which I had done), but the carb thing seems like just a standard answer. I am going to try to go through it again. It is pretty easy although I have never readjusted anything, just put back exactly like it came apart. I am going to let it soak for a couple days, then reassemble and run some seafoam through the tank as well. After that, I am not sure how to T/S any electrical components, like with a meter or anything. I guess I could ohm between points and plug with points are closed and see if I get resistance?? Not sure what that will tell me other than points are good. Not sure checking condenser and/or coils.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Remove and ground one spark plug wire, then run the motor. Do the same with the other one. If it is a one-cylinder missing situation, it won't make any difference with one grounded, but may not run at all with the other one grounded. That is the good one.

But of course there are other reasons than electrical for running on one. Water getting into a cylinder. Blown head gasket. Trashed powerhead. Broken reeds. Carburetor isn't one of the reasons (it feeds both cylinders)

tdwcacher

Cadet
I thought the carb cleaning response I got from another local forum was just a normal response from people.
Seems like you could ask what to do if boat is leaking water, and someone will say clean the carb. Forgive my stupidity (I will google it as well), but how do you ground a plug wire? I was thinking of starting it, then removing one wire and see if it runs differently, but did not know if it would light me up, or damage something. Sounds like if I can't find anything really simple, then I need to start shopping for another motor. Can't get parts easily on these old guys anyhow.

tdwcacher

Cadet
Remove and ground one spark plug wire, then run the motor. Do the same with the other one. If it is a one-cylinder missing situation, it won't make any difference with one grounded, but may not run at all with the other one grounded. That is the good one.

But of course there are other reasons than electrical for running on one. Water getting into a cylinder. Blown head gasket. Trashed powerhead. Broken reeds. Carburetor isn't one of the reasons (it feeds both cylinders)

You sir are a genius! Grounded one plug and runs same, grounded the other and nothing. Getting good compression (based on my thumb gauge :)) At least same compression range as the "good" cylinder. It is the lower one of the two. I am going to check for water in it next. Did not think of that last night. Going to double check the spark. Where does the water come up to cool engine? Is it in "front end"? Between carb and cylinders? I wonder if something is cracked if it would seep water in lower one first.
May see how easy it is to swap the coil, condenser and points if I can't see good spark, then see if problem follows that or stays at the lower one. Anyhow, still fishing in non windy days, but not sure what extra strain that puts on my motor. I don't go far at one time, 1/2 mile at most.

tdwcacher

Cadet
Wanted to update a bit so others would know. It does look like no spark on lower cylinder. I found point/condenser set at Franz Marine in MO. Shipping them to me. Hope this gets me back (although I still hit the lake with one cylinder!) full speed ahead.