1959 Wizard 10 hp cylinder cutting out

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, this is a continuation from my restore project. I've been busy with work and have had little tie for anything else lately, but this week I've been on vacation.😀 In the test barrel the motor seemed to run good, but when I'd rev it up a lot of foamy oil and gas would come out from the shift linkage. Ruined my paint job. But all in all it seemed like it just needed a tuning on the water. Well yesterday after tropical storm Cindy kept me inside for most of my vacation I got to go test it. Well it is obviously going to run like a raped ape when I figure out why one cylinder cuts out when you give it a little gas. One cyl. Nearly puts my 12' flat boat on a plane. I think it's either a coil, or the old points I used in place of one set of defective points on one of the cylinders. The surfaces weren't perfect after I cleaned them. I never compression checked it but I will do that first. I did replace the head gasket. My question is how do you diag. a coil that cuts out under a load? And if it turns out to be a coil, are they still available? There was spark on both plugs when I turned it by hand. Thanks in advance

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Those motors actually have really good coils on them, If they are not cracked they are usually good. I would suspect the points/condensers before anything. I believe you can still get the points and condensers for that motor. To be sure I need a pic of your points.

Last edited:

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I have new/old stock condensers on it and one new and one old set of points. I,ll bet it's the old points if the compression check is good. I have another new set of Sierra points for just this situation.