1960 flying Scott 60 horse. Prop Shear pins

Frizz

Cadet
I have recently acquired a 15 foot fiberglass boat with a 1960 60 horse flying Scott. In less than 30 minutes of actual running down the lake it has sheared 3 prop pins. Is there something that I am doing wrong in the set up, or are the pins that I have been getting too soft? Any help is appreciated.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Are they brass pins you are using? Or is the pin you are using to small? Is your idle to high?

Last edited:

Frizz

Cadet
They are brass pins. They are tight enough that they won't fall out but they do install by hand. My idle might be a little high. They all sheared under throttle.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You need the idle as low as possible and those do not use brass pins. You need to find the correct pins for the motor and lower the idle. The brass pin will bend every time you shift until they break. A google search will find the correct pins for your motor.

VirginiaMaid

Recruit
I have the exact same motor and originally went through the exact same experiences. And I couldn't find stainless pins the correct length. I found them + or - 1/8" from what I needed, but never the correct length. So I bought stainless bolts and cut out the unthreaded portion between the head and the threads to make my own. Cut to length, remove burrs, in 30 minutes you'll have enough pins for the rest of your life. I've only ever broken one stainless pin...

Frizz

Cadet
I was finding the same problem with length online. Thanks for the suggestion.