1973 Clinton(?) / Sea King k700 2107a questions

nbarr7655

Cadet
Hello everyone! I just purchased what I believe is a 1973 or 1974 Sea King or as some people are saying, Clinton. I was told the motor runs fine but I already have one problem, I don't have a gas tank. I bought one and bout a fuel line with no ends because I have no idea what ends this motor uses.

So two questions:

What ends do I need? I don't have pictures right now just the model number

What is the correct fuel mixture for these motors?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

I believe Clinton used a couple of kinds. One looks like Chrysler (but I don't know if it is the same or not)

Attachments

• photo266164.jpg
    photo266164.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo266165.jpg
    photo266165.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2

nbarr7655

Cadet
I believe Clinton used a couple of kinds. One looks like Chrysler (but I don't know if it is the same or not)

I bet that's it actually. I actually have it Jerry rigged right now and working but I'll hunt around for that part anyway. Do you happen to know the right fuel mixture?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I bet that's it actually. I actually have it Jerry rigged right now and working but I'll hunt around for that part anyway. Do you happen to know the right fuel mixture?

Well no, only an opinion. I was around when that Clinton engine was used in chainsaws. (And my competition racing go-kart). Back then they used 16:1 mix. Then suddenly they decided 50:1 is ok. Not in my book. Those things get blisteringly hot. And by the way in case you don't know, it has a water pump.

nbarr7655

Cadet
Well no, only an opinion. I was around when that Clinton engine was used in chainsaws. (And my competition racing go-kart). Back then they used 16:1 mix. Then suddenly they decided 50:1 is ok. Not in my book. Those things get blisteringly hot. And by the way in case you don't know, it has a water pump.

Hmmm, okay. Right now I am mixed at roughly 40:1, I believe.

Another question: Right now I have a bit of an issue. I have to start the motor at full throttle with the choke on (which I am guessing is normal for these?) and then when I throttle down it will run a bit and then sputter out. If I try to push the choke back in, it just kills the motor completely. Ideas on this? Just now changed the spark plug but haven't tested it yet.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
on the bottom of the carb is the power adjustment screw. Run it in and then back it out 2 turns.see what that does.The idle screw on the side run it in and back it out 1.25 turns. with the motor in a barrel with plenty of water run at full throttle and adjust the power screw on the bottom clockwise till engine starts to die off then counterclock wise a quarter turn.If you still have a problem then rebuild the carb or buy a new one for about 15 bucks on ebay

nbarr7655

Cadet
on the bottom of the carb is the power adjustment screw. Run it in and then back it out 2 turns.see what that does.The idle screw on the side run it in and back it out 1.25 turns. with the motor in a barrel with plenty of water run at full throttle and adjust the power screw on the bottom clockwise till engine starts to die off then counterclock wise a quarter turn.If you still have a problem then rebuild the carb or buy a new one for about 15 bucks on ebay

Perfect, I will check it! Newest problem, a few days ago I pulled the cord too far apparently and it got stuck out. After now hours of messing with it I finally found out why it is still screwed up. I believe there is suppose to be a sort of locking ring in the fixture that is now gone. Below is a picture of where it's supposed to go. Do you know where I can get a new one?

6u76lS6.jpg

tPXrYVJ.jpg

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That probably is a standard size of a Truarc snap ring. If you get real lucky, Ace Hardware may have one. NAPA auto parts may have an assortment you can pick from also. Otherwise:

Clinton Engines Corporation
22563 35th Street
Maquoketa, IA 52060-8640
(563) 652-2411
They are a "cash" only place, they don't accept credit cards. If they are not there leave a message, and they do get back to you. tell them what you need, they take your order, then call you back with the price for parts and shipping.

nbarr7655

Cadet
That probably is a standard size of a Truarc snap ring. If you get real lucky, Ace Hardware may have one. NAPA auto parts may have an assortment you can pick from also. Otherwise:

Clinton Engines Corporation
22563 35th Street
Maquoketa, IA 52060-8640
(563) 652-2411
They are a "cash" only place, they don't accept credit cards. If they are not there leave a message, and they do get back to you. tell them what you need, they take your order, then call you back with the price for parts and shipping.

Actually, I got rather lucky. A friend of mine had an assortment of snap rings and he had the exact size, so I used that

Onto the next issue! The recoil spring came out a couple of times while I was dealing with this mess and I was forced to rewind it back up. Now, the end of the spring will sometimes catch on the wheel and either stop it from spinning or interrupt it OR, screw the spring up completely and then I get no more tension on the rope.

I have marked the picture below to show the portion I am talking about. I can shove it down and it will be fine, for a pull, maybe two. But it slides back up and gets in the way. Do I need a new spring or what's the fix for this? I tried heating it inside the assembly and just pushing down hard on it, no luck.

GnHB80J.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'd say that spring has been broken at some time in its past and was re-bent. You might wind up having to replace it.

nbarr7655

Cadet
I'd say that spring has been broken at some time in its past and was re-bent. You might wind up having to replace it.

Do auto-parts stores generally sell these? Is it a sort of one size fits all kind of spring?

nbarr7655

Cadet
Nope, and nope.

Good news! I didn't need a new one. It turns out that the inside was too far open and the catch on the wheel was bent too far in. So, it would catch but only for a little bit before it popped lose. I rebent them both and now no issues!

Also, what is the switch on the side of the motor for? It is on the outside of the cover. I ask because I thought I had a new issue with the throttle because I could only turn it about half of what it was suppose to go. After flipping that switch over, the throttle now goes the entire distance.