Need help Identifying early 60s Sea King 5 Hp outboard

FiBerOpTiK

Cadet
I just recently acquired a Sea King outboard from an acquaintance who didnt really know much about it. The placard that has the Model/SN has been removed, all I can see is the broken rivets on the transom mount. I have not yet tried to start it, and was just trying to get some knowledge before attempting to.
Googling it I believe its a 61 or 62 from the pictures but I am not certain. The only number I was able to find was on a little round plug on the engine block which appears to be 808529.
I took some pictures but I am not able to post them because I have not posted 3 times evidently.

I uploaded the pictures to photobucket, sorry but it would not allow me to upload them onto here.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/coreygilles/library/Sea King Outboard

Last edited:

FiBerOpTiK

Cadet
If anyone knows of somewhere else to look for identifying features that could be helpful as well.
Thanks again

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Looks like an OMC product probably Gale division . F-R will know for sure.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Looks just like mine. 1961, model GG187736B. Yours would be serial number 16X808529 (the number on the plug). Made by Gale Products Division of OMC.

You realize of course that it was stolen at some time in its life? But the crook was an amateur. He didn't know about the serial number on the plug. Probably sold it for pot money.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks just like mine. 1961, model GG187736B. Yours would be serial number 16X808529 (the number on the plug). Made by Gale Products Division of OMC.

You realize of course that it was stolen at some time in its life? But the crook was an amateur. He didn't know about the serial number on the plug. Probably sold it for pot money.

:lol:

FiBerOpTiK

Cadet
F_R thank you sir. I thought the missing tag was a bit suspicious but didn't even notice until I got it home.. The man I got it from just have bought it that way, he is like 85 years old lol.

FiBerOpTiK

Cadet
Would any of you guys happen to have or know where I could get a user manual for this motor? I am not real sure how to operate all the knobs on this thing.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is almost a twin to the early 60's Evinrude/Johnson 5.5 hp, so a manual for one of those will work. Most but not all of the parts will interchange.

FiBerOpTiK

Cadet
Wow, I am impressed with the knowledge and helpfulness of everyone who posted in this forum. I really want to thank you all and let you know how much you have helped me out. I may get some time to get to play around with the motor this week and hopefully get it running. I may be posting again if I run into any issues.
Thanks again for everything.

tackett77

Cadet
I have the same missing tag issue on a Seaking that I recently bought. Same deal with it being from the original owner (recently deceased). Mine is a 6hp, she thought it was 70's or 80's. Starts up but I am not sure of the fuel ratio or anything else. She said that the lower end leaked oil a little other than that it looks pretty good. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member
I have the same missing tag issue on a Seaking that I recently bought. Same deal with it being from the original owner (recently deceased). Mine is a 6hp, she thought it was 70's or 80's. Starts up but I am not sure of the fuel ratio or anything else. She said that the lower end leaked oil a little other than that it looks pretty good. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Start a topic about your motor. Asking here, in someone elses topic, is considered a hijack.

FiBerOpTiK

Cadet
Well got a chance to start her up and SHE'S ALIVE!! ,well mostly. Noticed I had no water coming out of the exhaust so I'm assuming a bad impeller. Shut It off after 30 seconds or so. It appears that the power head needs to come off to remove the lower end. What all parts should I replace while im.in there? Crank seal and impeller? Also if you know the part numbers for reference that would be awesome.