Chrysler 70 HP Outboard

TXNoviceBoater

Recruit
Hello all. I have acquired an unknown year Chrysler 70HP outboard. It says on the cover Magnapower Ignition. I know nothing of about this motor other than I want to get it running. I have never worked on an outboard engine before but i am pretty savvy with engines and most things mechanical. My ability to work on it isn't what is slowing me. What I would like to know is if it is even worth investing the time and money in this motor to get it running. Where they good engines? Where they reliable engines when they were new? I like that it says made in USA. I enjoy tackling projects such as this but I do not want to spend the time and effort on something that wasn't worth its weight when it was new!. Thanks ahead of time for any advice or information that you all may give me.

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome:to the best place on the web for everything boats!

I'm a big fan of the old Chrysler outboards. They are fairly simple to work on, and reliable. They are a little harder on gas than some other brands and they stopped building them around 1984. However they lived on as Force and the later Mariner motors are simillar. You will get more help in the Chrysler/Force forum so post up a new thread there or ask a mod to move this one for you.

One thing that you will find invaluable is a factory service manual. Skip the Seloc and Climer outboard manuals they are mostly only good for a door stop. You need to look for the engine tag and post up the numbers as they can be deciphered for the year. Then start checking evilbay or your local used book dealer for a factory manual for your year engine.

TXNoviceBoater

Recruit
In the couple days since I first posted I found the Serial Number Plate. 707HF Serial# 20366. I think this should be a 1973 model. i started really diving into it today. The flywheel will NOT turn more than a couple teeth in any direction. When i removed the spark plugs the middle plug was heavily corroded.I suppose next is pulling the head and inspecting the cylinder walls and piston tops. If everything cleans up and the stroke is restored I will continue on with my journey.