Sears 3.0 HP Gamefisher won't start (Tanaka)

rogert

Recruit
Great little motor until now. Motor has not been run for 12 months.. I closed petcock & ran it dry at last shut down. When attempting to start motor, it run great for 30 seconds & stopped. Nothing on further attempts. Changed spark plug...no difference. Squirted gas into cylinder,, installed spark plug,, motor started for few seconds & stopped. Fuel will drain out of carb bowl drain ok. All this with new gas. Good spark from spark plug lead. My guess...plugged jet ! How do you clean it. ?
What is your opinion ? Thanks...Roger

robert graham

Admiral
Sounds like a fuel flow restriction or a fuel venting problem....is your fuel cap vent screw open?.... Check that petcock/screen for restriction or debris. The needle and jet is so super simple I doubt it's plugged, but you can remove carb with that one screw, unscrew top of carb and slide it up to inspect. Remove and inspect carb float bowl/float/needle for operation/debris....super simple carb here...

rogert

Recruit
I pulled the screen on the petcock & cleaned bowl, vent & fuel tank checked, drained the fuel tank through the drain inbottom of carb bowl. Now for carb jet..sounds like we are talking 2 different carbs. Maybe I'm a little thick & don't get it. Motor model # 298.586193.. Thanks, Roger

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
i have a gamefisher 5.0 & i am looking for parts but i cant identify the motor. where do you find the model #.
i found the serial #( i think)