1983 Montgomery Ward - Fueling issue, won't stay running.

pascoea

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning all. I've been having some on-going issues with my boat motor, it's 1983 or 84 Montgomery Ward 15HP (Chyrsler) model 52118A.

The general gist of the problem is sometimes the darn thing won't stay running, at idle or under load, unless I'm continuously squeezing the primer bulb. Sometimes once I get it going it'll go like it's supposed to, sometimes I have to pump the bulb continuously, sometimes I have to pump it every 30 seconds or so.

I've replaced all of the fuel lines, the line from the tank to the quick connects, both sides of the quick connect, and the lines to and from the fuel pump. I removed and cleaned the filter. And the prior owner had just replaced the fuel pump diaphragm/gasket set.

One possible cause is that it doesn't appear that there is any sort of check-valve in the fuel system. Every time I go to start it, whether it's been sitting for a week or two minutes, I have to give the primer bulb 3 or 4 squeezes before it gets hard. That doesn't seem correct. Shouldn't, the primer bulb have a check in it? Wouldn't the function of the fuel pump provide some sort of check-valve?

he other thing, I question the aptitude of the person that replaced the fuel pump guts. So it's possible that wasn't done correctly.

What do you guys think? Is there something I'm overlooking? Should there be a check valve? Or does that sound like it's the fuel pump? Possibly both?

Your help is much appreciated.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would say fuel pump diaphram is weak. And my 35 evin takes 4 squeezes or more to pump up my line.I have an in-line filter on it as well. If you put an in-line filter on it you can see if its the fuel pump.

pascoea

Seaman Apprentice
Brim;
You thinking an in-line between the pump and carb, the idea being you could see the fuel flow?

pascoea

Seaman Apprentice
I question the aptitude of the person that replaced the fuel pump guts.
HA! Called it! The knuckle head installed the reeds in the fuel pump upside down. (or he bent them) There was a 1mm(ish) gap between the reed and the port underneath it. Oddly enough, it wasn't pumping right.

I guess it doesn't surprise me, I bought the boat as "non running", the only thing it took to get it to fire was putting the spark plug wires on correctly.