Vintage Champion Outboard Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldylocks

Recruit
Hi, I am new to this site.

This week I bought this vintage outboard motor. The guy I bought it from has had it for many years and was planning on working on it, but never got around to it, so I lucked out (I think). It was really dirty, rusty, etc. but it seemed to have compression, pretty clean fuel tank. all levers moved freely, and a broken spark plug. I figured for the little amount I paid, it would really look cool when cleaned up.

Did some initial troubleshooting and determined that it did not have a spark when turning the magneto. So, I took the flywheel off, cleaned it up including cleaning the points. Set and initial gap of about .020, put the flywheel back on, and it now sparks.

I think that this may start now, but have some questions before I try to start it. (I'm including some pictures of the unit with this post).

I don't see a model or serial number on the outside of the motor, but I do see the following numbers:

A12 This is on the side of the motor between the spark plug and the carb.

A30 This is on the side of the single cylinder.

The magneto is an Elsemann and has the following:
Model 71L
Serial No. 1806

The original, broken spark plug:
Champion JI-15

I replaced the original spark plug with and AutoLite 386, as this was the cross referenced replacement.

I have not been able to locate any information on the web regarding the following questions, so I'm hoping other members of this site may have further details/ansers to my questions.

Question 1 - The replacement spark plug is gaped at .025. Should this be changed, or is this the correct gap?

Question 2 - When I reinstall the flywheel, what foot pounds should I set the retaining nut at?

Question 3 - I have read that these antiques require 16:1 gas/oil ratio. I am using a high grade boat motor 2-stroke oil, but found an old manual for a different vintage motor that recommended using non-detergent 30 weight oil to mix with the gas. Any comments on whether one should be used in place of the other?

Question 4 - Here is the most common question that you probably receive from a newbie member.... any ideas as to the year this was manufactured? I haven't been able to locate any informaiton specific to this unit, and thought that the magneto model and serial numbers may indicate the year, but though I found information about some of these old devices, nothing matches the magneto used in this motor.

Thanks,

Oldylocks

(I'll upload the images soon, as they appear to be too large)

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
in 1935 they made an A standard which is kinda what yours looks like. 3.2 hp and Im currently trying to find you some info

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Question 3 - I have read that these antiques require 16:1 gas/oil ratio. I am using a high grade boat motor 2-stroke oil, but found an old manual for a different vintage motor that recommended using non-detergent 30 weight oil to mix with the gas. Any comments on whether one should be used in place of the other?

Back in the day the only oil they had was 30 wt so that's what they used. Today you should use oil made for 2-stroke motors; I assume your motor is air cooled so use any good quality oil made for chainsaws, weed whackers, etc.

As I understand it, oil made for air-cooled motors is a little thicker than the TCW-3 used in water cooled motors because of the higher operating temperature.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I gotta say, I am unfamiliar with a Champion Model A, but I doubt it is air cooled. But I agree, car oil was all they had back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.