1963 elgin 3.5 / 3.6 hp carb info

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So my elgin has what seems to be a broken float or stuck... does anyone know what carb it is? It should be a McCullough made motor. 60021 modle 574.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Actually I apologize its. A 60031 motor and it doesn't look like a typical Tolston carb it has a stamp on the side... lmg 159 A.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The manual says that or Walbro LMG carbs are the only 2 and Tillotson was the moat popular

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes! I finally found out it is in fact a walbro carb... found on a couple years only they went back to the tolstin! wallbro of course is stamped on the bottom of my float bowl lol.

Now for the carb expert... the bowl is overflowing and coming out weep hole,

I stripped and after cleaning, I'm able to push an extremely small amount of air with my mouth past the float needle when pushed closed...

Is this carb shot? Is it a bad needle seat? I can't clean it any better, should I buy a new carb or needle and seat, and where will I find that stuff lol

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Try an old lawn mower shop that's been around since Columbus landed. Walbros used to be popular carbs back in the day.

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
any idea about the needle settings? It has 2.. one on the side (assuming idle slow speed screw) and the other on the bottom of the bowl...seems to run better with the bowl screw seated all the way. Is this a high speed adjustment screw?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes the one on the bottom of bowl is main jet or high speed adjustment