Need help identifying Elgin 12

coltwknight

Cadet
I recently purchased an Elgin 12 outboard motor that I suspect is an early 60's model. I would like to find out exactly what year it is, the model number, and possibly locate an manual.

​I bought it off a gentlemen who said the motor was in storage for 35 years. I took it home, changed the plugs and fuel lines, and it started after just a few pulls. Then the keystock broke on the crank shaft and fly wheel. Repaired that, and it seems to run very well now.

Colt

Attachments

• elgin 12 a.jpg
    elgin 12 a.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Elgin 12 b.jpg
    Elgin 12 b.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • Elgin 12 c.jpg
    Elgin 12 c.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You are in the right neighborhood on the year. It was made by Scott-McCulloch. I can see the data plate between the clamp brackets. Why don't you look at it and post the numbers?

coltwknight

Cadet
You are in the right neighborhood on the year. It was made by Scott-McCulloch. I can see the data plate between the clamp brackets. Why don't you look at it and post the numbers?

Hello,

​That plate is worn completely off. I was pretty certain it was a McCulloch based on some part similarities I have seen, but I can't nail down the year and model number, which I am assuming I will need if anything breaks.

Thanks

BlackoutBill21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up the same motor! My tag was dirty and I went to clean it and wiped half the number off!! lol they weren't stamped! Should be a 1960. Based on mine it had the 574. Serial which luckily is still in mine.. the motors we have doesn't seem to be too many.. the 12 hp mccholoah.. it's either 60, 61, or 62 or 63. All the 12 hp made by Scott were one of those years

You said you had a sheared camshaft key and broken flywheel. Mine has the same thing I'm currently looking for a flywheel. Any idea where I could find one? There are some on eBay from a 1956. I'm wondering if it's interchangeable