Elgin 7.5 impeller

Carson946

Cadet
How do I replace a impeller on my 1954 elgin 7.5. I just bought a old boat not sure of make for sure. The man said it's a Arkansas traveler. Anyway I took the boat down to the river today and I noticed that there was no water comeing out of the hole where is says cooling water flow indicator so I believe that the impeller is bad.

The older Elgin/Wizard/Ted Williams/McCullough low profile outboards are a pain to work on (if you ask me) but here's some suggestions:
In order to replace the impeller you'll need to first remove the powerhead by way of the nine (I think) screws hoding it to the drive housing. Also, disconnect the shifter linkage, the fuel line, the choke, the throttle advance, and probably the pull starter. Now lift the powerhead completely out and notice the shifter linkage connection. Disconnect the shift linkage at the top, remove the two bolts holding the lower unit to the drive housing and lower unit should drop out giving access to water pump. Hope this helps.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is true of some of the early low profile Elgins. However, you can relax. You don't have one. Yours is pretty easy. Remove the clip at the lower front of the motor leg, and slide the shift cable out of the slot in the retainer. Remove the nut. Remove the screw from the opening of the underwater exhaust outlet. Now the gearcase and cavitation plate should drop down and away. The impeller is above it.