Gale Sea King 15hp questions

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Gale 15hp Sea King that was given to me by my uncle close to 20 years ago. The model is GG18734C.

The last time it was started was probably 2003 but I'm thinking of getting it wet again and I have two questions:

(1) Does someone have a part number for an impeller? I'm sure it would be smart to replace the old, dry one before hitting the water.

(2) In doing some searching I saw a couple of references to these motors using a 24:1 mix instead of the 50:1 I'm familiar with. Is this true? I would hate to destroy it with the wrong mix, considering what great shape it is in otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any info.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. Impeller is part number 775518 from your local Evinrude dealer. Or Sierra Marine 18-3002 here at iboats
2. 24:1 is correct.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you very much! I ran it about 5 hours with 50:1 when I received it --hope I didn't do any permanent damage.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Thank you very much! I ran it about 5 hours with 50:1 when I received it --hope I didn't do any permanent damage.

Probably not. You can get all kinds of opinions on the expected results. I figure if it blows, it was about to blow anyway. BTW, do yourself a big favor and pull the powerhead and replace the lower main bearing seal. That seal was junk and has destroyed many a motor. When it leaks, water gets into the crankcase and destroys the bearings.

Attachments

• photo5383.jpg
    photo5383.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How much work does that entail? And do you happen to know the part number and/or source for the seal?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Not as difficult as it sounds.
1. Remove the shifter interlock from one side of the powerhead.
2. Remove the vertical throttle shaft from the opposite side of the powerhead
3. Disconnect the large fuel hose and get it out of the way. Disconnect the stop wires if it has them.
4. There are several screws around the rear, below the lower pan. Remove them
5. There is one (or two??) nuts--1/2" wrench. Remove.
6. There is another screw almost hidden, further forward. Look up in the gap and you will see it. Might be #3 Phillips head.
7. If I didn't forget anything, powerhead should now lift off. You can dig the seal out with whatever you have handy. Collapse the shell if necessary.

Original #303804 seal, replaced by 321467, from your local Evinrude dealer, OR #18-2060 here at iboats.
306199 powerhead gaskets (takes two). From the dealer.

EDIT: I may be mistaken on that hidden screw. It might have a third nut. The system was changed along about that time. Seek and you will find.

Last edited:

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Much thanks. I just added the seal to my impeller order. I ordered an impeller for every motor I own, just in case. Amazing how much more expensive the one for my new Yamaha was.

Now I just have to find an Evinrude dealer to buy the gaskets.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That gasket looks like something I can trace onto a roll of gasket material.