WIZARD 10 HP

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friends dad is cleaning out his garage and he has a wizard 10 hp by Scott m. I am thinking about getting it ..the serial # is 17872634-(numbers worn away)..Model # MLM6910A. He says it only has 4 hrs on it. can anyone tell me If its a 58 or 59? I think it has bail o matic.

jbcurt00

Staff member
MLM6910A should be a 1959 10hp Wizard

1959 Wizard ad
Wizarda59004.jpg

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you JBCurt,. I thought it was a 59 but was'nt sure. Well I couldn't help myself and I got it. for $65. He said it most likely just needed a carb clean and it would run,. but I know better,nand sure enough , the low speed idle adjustment needle is broke off in the carb. I have the technology to get it out,. but I doubt there will be another one available anywhere. It has a Carter model n carb. Just wondering if it is the same on a Scott McCullough regular outboard of the same year and hp?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Carter made lots of different versions of their Model N. I have one version out in my shop right now, on an Onan generator plant. But I'd be willing to bet the answer to your question is yes, same as a Scott.

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, thank you F-R , I got another surprise today, this gear case takes grease instead of oil, I knew some old motors did , but never ran across it till now. The grease was almost black, no signs of water emulsion, but what kind of grease? Marine bearing grease?, can you substitute gear oil?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Ok, thank you F-R , I got another surprise today, this gear case takes grease instead of oil, I knew some old motors did , but never ran across it till now. The grease was almost black, no signs of water emulsion, but what kind of grease? Marine bearing grease?, can you substitute gear oil?
Put up a pic of your motor. That SHOULD not take grease in the lower unit.

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, when I get home, I'll try to post a pic or at least put up the model #

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you Scott, I a using a textbook tablet and I can't do pics and videos like on my laptop that went kaput awhile back. So I'll try to explain....it has two vertical pinion gears, and 1 driven gear in a separate part of the lower unit that comes off with the prop shaft and bearings in it. The gasket for it is vertical and not horizontal like an Evinrude or Johnson. The fill hole has grease stamped below it, I am so confused. I can't find any forums that clarify It. I guess I'll go ahead and try it with gear oil. I I can't see how it can hurt.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Confirming, I have the Scott manual here in front of me and it says SAE 90 oil.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thank you Scott, I a using a textbook tablet and I can't do pics and videos like on my laptop that went kaput awhile back. So I'll try to explain....it has two vertical pinion gears, and 1 driven gear in a separate part of the lower unit that comes off with the prop shaft and bearings in it. The gasket for it is vertical and not horizontal like an Evinrude or Johnson. The fill hole has grease stamped below it, I am so confused. I can't find any forums that clarify It. I guess I'll go ahead and try it with gear oil. I I can't see how it can hurt.

Mcculloch had there own lower unit design in the smaller motors they run the F/R gears vertically. One thing you need to look at is the shifting fork they are brass make sure it does not have excessive wear because of the grease. Another thing to look at is where the lower unit splits and the bearing race is, there needs to be an o-ring there to make the seal. I will run a bead of greatstuff around the edge of the o-ring to make sure it stays sealed. Do not over-torque the 2 bolts holding the lower unit together they can break. I tighten them tight and use blue loc-tite so they don't back out. All those lowers have grease stamped under the hole 90 weight was considered grease back then. I am not guessing on using the 80w 90 in the lower unit I have quite a few of those motors and I have an original 1957-59 mcculloch factory service manual that the dealers used to service those. My 1956 16 hp scott has the same grease stamp on it and it uses 80w90 in it.

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you Flying Scott, and I just realized where your screen name came from. I found some Quicksilver plain 90 weight outboard gear oil at Wal Mart, I will use that. The only problem I have now is Finding a replacement pin for the drive shaft retaining ring, mine came out in two parts. I cant find anything suitable to replace it with, nd I'm pretty sure I wont find one on e-bay and such. Its holding up the whole project.

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh and I didend see a place for an oring where the lower unit splits...the horizontal split...I was thinking of using that stuff you seal the two half's of the engine block together with that sticky 3m stuff, what do you think?

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am ready to put the fly wheel back on, I don't have a torque spec Is it about the same a Johnson ten hp, 44 ft lbs?

Tech Tony

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I now have the flywheel back on and I torqued it to 30ft lbs but I don't have any specs. The Johnson 10hp I have is 44 ft lbs although the crankshaft is a little thicker. Anyone that can help thank you.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would also change the water pump in the motor after you get it running. I can PM you some places that have them or make them.