Tanaka 300 not getting fuel

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Rebuilt the carb. The petcock with the bowl is not available so I ran the line straight. I think the fact that the fuel line dips below the level where it connects to the carb might be the issue. Question- on a 2 stroke 3hp outboard will that little carb have the ability to suck the fuel into the carb?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the tank mounted above the carb on this Tanaka? If so, the carb is gravity fed and as long as the loop in the fuel line isn't extreme, it should work fine.

robert graham

Admiral
On my Tanaka 3.0 I replaced that crummy little petcock and fuel lines with some clear yellow lines, small plastic petcock, small in-line fuel filter from Northern Tool....all these are standard items for chain saws, mowers, blowers, etc.....never any more problems with fuel flow....use tie-wraps(zip-ties) to sorta secure these under the tank so not hanging down much.....

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Robert graham. That's what I kind of did and I think I saw your original post on another site. But I'm still not getting fuel. When I pour fuel straight into the carb it works great. I'll try to address the fact that the fuel line drops below the carb inlet. Thx.

GA_Boater

Is the inside of the tank rusty. Pull the fuel outlet and check for a clean screen.

Pic?

GA_Boater

Are you getting fuel through the line when it's pulled off the carb?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Plastic tank. If I direct inject fuel into the carb starts first pull. The old petcock had a fuel sediment bowl that was missing so I put that black and red fuel cut off in. See the pitch in the pictures. What's your opinions?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Attachments

• photo258022.JPG
    photo258022.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo258023.JPG
    photo258023.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo258024.JPG
    photo258024.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo258025.JPG
    photo258025.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo258026.JPG
    photo258026.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
Looks like the exact little plastic petcock that I put on mine.....the yellow clear plastic tubing has the advantage of being able to see the fuel in the line. It's all downhill from the tank to carb so flow should not be a problem. Is your float needle valve clean and O.K.?...

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I took the whole carb apart. Washed it all in carb cleaner and rebuilt it. Starts first pull when there's fuel in the carb- direct feed. Let me ask you. How much gas does there need to be in the tank to creat enough down ward pressure? My tank had just a tad - maybe it needs to be full?

GA_Boater

Any gas in the tank as long as it covers the outlet. Have you tried with the cap off? Pull the gas line off the tank and fill the line with gas, then see if it starts.

You and carbs don't get along, massimo. LOL How's the scooter?

robert graham

Admiral
It only takes a few ounces of gas in the tank and it'll flow right down into carb....is your tank vent screw open just a bit?... Gas won't flow with vent screw turned off...

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
LoL! my (poor) reputation precedes me! The scooter is fine, actually thanks for asking, been resting for the winter but ran great when I put her away. I will try these suggestions, thanks.

robert graham

Admiral
That Tanaka 3.0 has the simplest possible fuel delivery and carb system that I've ever seen, so your problem should be easy to troubleshoot and rectify.....

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Question- does the carb provide any suction at all? the line dips below where it connects to the Carb- I think some suction would be needed. Also, I painted the cowling and want to stencil paint on the name (Tanaka 300). I carefully cut out "Tanaka 300" out of regular paper, but it wont work, it will life. Any advice on how to stencil it?