Oil leak on Johnson 65hp

manus224

Recruit
Hello all
I have a Johnson 65hp 1972, after running the motor I have noticed an oil leak coming from somewhere close by the engine as opposed to by the gear box end. If I leave the motor down the oil runs down the exhaust housing and out by the where the prop is attached. If I tilt the motor up it runs into the engine housing and out round by the choke switch.
Does anyone have any ideas what seal could be gone or what the cause of the oil leak may be. i appreciate that the description is not the best so happy to answer any clarifying questions.
I guess Im looking for a place to start in tracking down the problem so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks all

manus224

Recruit
No, it appears to be straight oil, very dark like engine oil and same consistency

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There is no heavy dark oil anywhere near the upper end of the motor. Only oil/gas mix. But you might be seeing some of that oil/gas mix that has become contaminated by the soot and carbon in the exhaust or some other scunge.

If you have a float valve problem in one of the carburetors, it could be allowing fuel to pass through. It isn't a bad idea to disconnect the fuel line from the tank when the motor is not in use, just in case.