Help. 1959 Gale sea king 35hp w/ elc. Start

schuder

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have recently acquired a 5935 horse Gail motor with electric start. I have already done a compression check on it it turns out good but I am not getting any spark on either cylinder. I disconnected it from a boat and brought it into my shed so I can do checks on it I have been rotating the engine using the electric start jumped by battery. I did disconnect the red wire going to the starter to do my test. I do see by looking at Manual a cut out switch and a Mercury switch that is in the wiring. But I am confused I thought if the motor is rotating then there should be spark if the coils are working but I want to check with the expert's

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

The cut-out switch prevents it from running wild in neutral. The mercury switch prevents starting at high throttle settings (and prevents the cut-out switch from operating at high throttle settings). Knowing these things, it becomes obvious that neither has anything to do with your no-spark condition. It's time to pull the flywheel to see what the problem really is. It is almost guaranteed that the coils are shot---unless they have already been replaced. Get new ones here at iboats.

Attachments

• photo237493.jpg
    photo237493.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1