Need help removing the lower unit on a 1952 Gale Sea King.

I have looked all through the service manual for gaskets that may be required on the lower unit. This outboard has been worked on before and I do know for a fact that it's missing the exhaust housing gasket which I did see in the manual. No big deal making one. Now as far as a water pump gasket, I don't see one in the exploded lower unit diagram. Any help would be great. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Water pump gasket??? None used. But use some gasket sealer under the flat plate. And of course there is an o-ring around the top of the water pump housing.

Been busy on this old outboard! Been replacing all of the o rings that I can find. When I disassembled the gear case it was pretty chocolate milkish. Down to the shift rod, propeller, and drive shaft brass bushings. The rubber in these is fairly worn out. Are these just worn out o rings stuffed inside or what? I get the feeling that the bushings come with the rubber already installed, because getting an o ring in there looks fairly difficult. Now....getting something like this nowadays may be a real mother. Tricks? Tips? Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What you are calling "bushings" are more normally called oil seals, or in the case of OMC, they usually called them oil retainers. The rubber is part of the seal. Whatever you call them, they are available from Evinrude dealers. But you will need to supply the part numbers because the dealer probably doesn't have the parts book to look them up and won't give you the time of day if you don't have them. You can look them up at the website that I referred you to earlier. iboats will have some, but not all of them also, but you will need to convert the part numbers to Sierra Marine numbers.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

What the hey, here is the parts book page. Notice that some part numbers are in the format such as 41-62. It is very possible that the Evinrude dealer will give you a hard time over that kind of number unless he knows some history. All he has to do is delete the dash and pad the number with preceeding zeros to make it a six or seven digit number. In other words, 41-62 becomes 004162 or 0004162.

But wait, there is more. Some of them are so old that the converted number won't show up. A long time ago, our 41-62 was changed to 307563, and more recently 307563 was changed to 321788, which is the current number. Or Sierra Marine 18-2032 here at iboats

Have I confused you yet? It will get even more confusing once all us old goats kick the bucket.

Attachments

• photo257832.jpg
    photo257832.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 0
Took a chance at a local Evinrude dealer. No parts pre 1969. Nice guy though. Ran some parts numbers through his system using extra "0's" and got a hit from one of their distrubutors at Sea Way. I ran an inquiry on their website and they had every part I need to rebuild the lower, all for under $60. This is my first restoration project, at least to this level of detail and research etc. Thus far, I'm enjoying the heck out of it! Many thanks!

One more thing. I have searched the gale service manual, and for the life of me can't find where you are getting the schematics with parts numbers listed.

So far the two parts layouts you haveposted on here, have helped me out tremendously! Parts inbound.
Thanks a million!

Okay, no kill switch on the 12D10. Any thoughts on how this task would have be originally accomplished without one?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have one of those motors too. My gas tank does not leak.....but I think that when it is less than half-full it creates sort of an echo-chamber and magnifies the sound of the engine. My motor is LOUD!

I guess you realize that it is pretty easy to convert your motor to a fuel pump version that can use a standard external gas can. If I were you I would consider doing just that.

A 12 HP engine really needs a larger fuel supply than you can carry in that integral tank IMHO.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Actually, the old wedge-head 12hp was not set up for easy fuel pump installation. But never say never, I guess. You would have to figure out some way to drill & tap the crankcase for a pulse line nipple. And that carburetor has a very large hole in the float valve to allow enough fuel flow under gravity pressure. You may find that a fuel pump pressure will overpower the float valve and cause flooding. Yes, smaller float valves are available. Convert it if you must, but as for myself, I'd use the on-board tank.

Right, probably never going to happen. Interesting thought though. New projects currently consume my off time.