Need help removing the lower unit on a 1952 Gale Sea King.

I have the lower unit seperated an inch or so, but I'm obviously missing something. It "Clunks" like something is still connected. I have removed every fastner I can see, even the pin holding the gear shifter. Can't find any diagrams etc online. Thanks!

wrench 3

Commander
On some of those early models you had to remove the power head to disconnect the gear shift linkage.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Nah, don't remove the powerhead. But something almost similar. Remove the exhaust housing (between the lower unit and powerhead). That will expose the shift rods and you will be able to see and disconnect it.

Attachments

• photo37320.jpg
    photo37320.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3
Thanks! Me and my Buddy attacked it yesterday, before I saw your post. That's exactly what it needed! Got it running after sitting for over 30 years! That's a nice repair manual. Any way that I could get my hands on a copy?

Thanks, again!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
One more question. Fuel mix...... the original plackard on the motor says to mix 1/2 pint no.30 oil to 1 gallon of gasoline. I ran truefuel 40-1 for the initial fire-up thoughts on this are appreciated.......

wrench 3

Commander
The oils are way better these days and they say to use 50-1 all the way back. However it makes me a little nervous going that lean on the old bushing type engines. I tend to go more in the 32-1 to 40-1 range.

Greatly appreciated! Seeing as I've dropped a $20 on a gallon of 40-1 I'll use it up. Have a new impeller inbound and will be putting Her through the paces. Will keep all posted......

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That motor has aluminum connecting rods and needs it's oil. If you want it to last, do as the tag says---16:1. Without looking, I suppose the manual probably says 24:1. That's OK. Let 'er smoke, she's old enough.

Thank You! Curious as to why it doesn't have an in-line fuel filter. Only found one other pic out there of the same motor and it's exactly as mine. Copper line and a shut off valve. Also I am going to need to seal the fuel tank, found a couple of tiny leaks.Any recommendations product wise etc. I appreciate your input. Thanks again!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

In-tank filter is #32 in this picture. Part number 590919. Myself, I just replace that one with a roll of brass filter screen. Got a motorcycle shop in your town? Ask what tank sealer they have.

Attachments

• photo257556.jpg
    photo257556.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks once again! I'm going to continue to pick your brain for knowledge, as long as you'll let me. Big debate on the fuel mix with my work/buddies. I am curious if two stroke oil was even "a thing" in the 1950's? Did a 16/1 ratio consist of 30 weight oil and the leaded gasoline mix? I don't want to kill Her before She gets back in the water. Hypothetical question here. If it was Your 64 year old still firing up outboard. What specifically would you mix to make it run and possibly keep running for quite some time?

wrench 3

Commander
I'm not sure about 1950. I didn't start boating until 1956. In '56 they were labeling it as two stroke oil but they were still calling for a 16-1 mix. The leaded fuel shouldn't have any effect. It only lubricated the valve seats on a four stroke and that was after the fuel was burnt.
I was running a 1956, 5.5 Johnson, original 16-1 mix, bushing type engine as a kicker on my last boat. I ran it for ten years at 32-1 mix and it was still running good when I sold it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Thanks once again! I'm going to continue to pick your brain for knowledge, as long as you'll let me. Big debate on the fuel mix with my work/buddies. I am curious if two stroke oil was even "a thing" in the 1950's? Did a 16/1 ratio consist of 30 weight oil and the leaded gasoline mix? I don't want to kill Her before She gets back in the water. Hypothetical question here. If it was Your 64 year old still firing up outboard. What specifically would you mix to make it run and possibly keep running for quite some time?

There is no shortage of opinions out there when it comes to gas and oil. Believe whatever you want, I guess. Since you asked, I have about 15 motors, ranging from 1909 to 1984. I run all of them at 24:1 except the 1984 which gets 50:1 that it was designed for. And the 1909 which is being restored and not running yet.

There is a thread of truth in all the opinions. Oil and gas is not what it was in 1950. It is far better. That old leaded gas and car oil carboned up the outboards big time. If you look at an old service manual, you will see that pulling the cylinder head and scraping the carbon out was part of a normal tune-up.

One other thing, those motors were not very clean. They did dump a lot of unburned fuel into the lake. Not very popular around some people these days. I run mine. Follow your conscience on yours. BTW, I use 100% synthetic TC-W3 outboard oil, which is bio-degradable and smokes less.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Correction: The 1909 isn't a 1909. I wish. Actually, it is a 1918.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a plan Tcw-3 and pump gas?

No shortage of opinions on that either. Many good people despise the gas laced with Ethanol. As for me, I just get regular unleaded (with Ethanol) at the cheapo Racetrac gas station up the road from my house. Works for me, so what the hey. If I ever have any problem, maybe I'll reform my ways.