Homelite/bearcat questions

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been a long time admirer and hope to someday be an avid collector of homelite and bearcat 55s. Next week I'm actually picking up a pair of running homelite 55s ones a 63 and the other is a 64. I'm getting both motors, controls, 4 extra props, a shop parts catalog, a repair manual, and the original owners manuals for 800$ I already have a couple of parts motors and some miscellaneous spare parts I've accumulated over the past couple of years. I've read that the homelite motors had a design flaw. Something to do with no water in the exhaust manifold. I can't find where I read it so does anyone know about this and potentially a fix? I've also heard that there is a petronix ignition upgrade I couldn't locate. I see economy 4 cycle says they put electronic fuel pumps on their motors is it just a generic one with a regulator? Last time I checked economy 4 cycles website was down. Something about their license expiring. Anyone on here know of any performance upgrades? I think I'll actually have enough parts to build 4 complete motors after I get these 2. And someone else has one minus a lower unit I'm waiting to hear back from. I think my plan is to put one of the running ones on my 61 alumacraft queen merrie, keep the other one running as a spare, hot rod one of them and maybe get another running and set up to potentially put twins on my alumacraft.

craveman85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone on here have anything on that pertronix ignition? I've emailed all the bearcat sites I could find but haven't heard anything back yet. Also there's a high/low switch in the electrical system. Anyone know what that's for?