Sears Gamefisher 7.5 model 217-585831

paul.rodgers

Recruit
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I have one of these, it runs great but I need to fix waterpump impeller,
But I can't see how to get the lower unit off, I thought it would be easy: pulled out the 2 bolts, but its still tight as can be.

So I tore it all down, pulled out the 6 bolts that hold column to motor head, Thats still tight as well!

Its as though there is a roll pin in there someplace, but darned if I can figure it out.

Does anyone have a downloadable service manual?
I see a parts diagram online ok, but its old and blurry,
I was assuming the driveshaft is just splined at each end, am I missing something?
[/FONT]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well :welcome: aboard paul.rodgers. Nice to have you join us...

Okay let's see if we can help you a little. I use to own an old Ted Williams 7.5 HP engine. But it has been so long ago I can't remember much about it anymore. I have no idea if there are other bolts or such holding yours together, but it could be that the drive shaft splines are rusted to the crankshaft and not letting go. Other OB's have those issues some times. Not saying that is what yours is doing but it could be. I am sure others will chime in and give you other ideas or things to check as well.

paul.rodgers

Recruit
Thats my worry, it was sat untouched in a basement about 10 years
I parked it upside down, and poured a few ounces of penetrating oil in, left it to sit for a few days.most of it came out through the motor so I think it just went in the exhaust into the crankcase

will try same trick but with it right way up tonight

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thats my worry, it was sat untouched in a basement about 10 years
I parked it upside down, and poured a few ounces of penetrating oil in, left it to sit for a few days.most of it came out through the motor so I think it just went in the exhaust into the crankcase

will try same trick but with it right way up tonight

I don't know any way to get the penetrating oil into the drive shaft splined area. :sorry:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
paul.rogers, While I did a little search on your Sear engine, it seem there are no parts available for it anymore. Not really surprised though. However, there are parts for it on EBay and even a flywheel and crankshaft if you happen to need one. And the price was pretty low too. And there are places on the net that do rebuilt some of those older engines and maybe you could email them and ask how your drive shaft comes out. Just a suggestion.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is there a metal clip on the back of the leg above the cav plate that when you remove it the shift rod is located.If so thats where you disconnect the shift rod.

Irish_sailor

Cadet
brim_buster my bad didn't realize that. Unfortunately I ended up buying half a lemon on the motor I bought. The motor runs but at a very high idle speed, but the shifter wouldn't shift at all couldn't get it to move even after taping on it with a hammer. Turns out I broke the gear housing trying to get the lower unit apart on mine so now I am in need of some parts. The shifter was broken up at the top where the linkage connects to the shift rod and the impeller was toast. I figured while I am at it I might as well take some stuff off of the motor and clean the inside a bit because from the looks of things I was pretty sure they ran this motor in salt water. Well when I pulled the covers off the motor I was right there was a lot of salt deposits inside the motor luckily no pitting has occurred. So now just cleaning the salt out of her and got to find a few parts and gasket set and I think I might have her running good. Well I also have to fix the high idle thing as well.

Irish_sailor

Cadet
Oh another thing my driveshaft was rusted into to the crankcase as well which is how I ended up breaking my gear housing :mad:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had one do that. I soaked it with PB Blaster for 3 days. Put a pair of vise grips on the shaft and tapped it with a hammer and it came out. I have an extra shaft for that motor in my bldg.The carbs on those are very simple. I sent you a private message. Take a look.