Elgin question

gmarshall43

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any Elgin fans out there? I recently picked up an older Elgin with this number stamped on it, 401-41041. I believe it to be late 40's and about 3hp? I want to remove the mid section and lower end from the power head. I removed about 8 screws below the power head but it doesn't drop off. I've tried to pry gently and didn't use much force not knowing if something was holding that lower end on but it didn't budge. How does that come off? I've also tried to drop the lower end off and there was only the one bolt holding that on but it too didn't budge.Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
http://www.elginoutboards.org/idyourelgin.htm. Look at this site and it will explain how the serial numbers work. Looks to be a 2.5hp. I have a picture of the leg assembly but its too big of image to upload. I think I found it on the site that I referenced in this post.Click on resources tab on the page and goto the bottom where you can look at different diagrams.

Last edited:

gmarshall43

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks for the info, it helps. I was able to separate the power head and it turns freely. The prop would not turn at all and I removed the prop to see that the gears are pretty rusted. I've tried to soak the gears PB blaster oil but it still will not budge. Any tips on how I can loosen the gears up or remove them?