Chinese Yamaha copy. First run from new. Water & smoke from top steering mount.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looks like the Chinese forgot to copy Yamaha's quality control. Can you send it back?

mattinspire

Cadet
Looks like the Chinese forgot to copy Yamaha's quality control. Can you send it back?

​I've raised my concern with the seller and also shared the video. At the moment I'm waiting to hear back. I was wondering if anyone had any theories on what might be happening here, or indeed if it's anything to be majorly concerned about.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
looks like the water tube isnt seated into the block and its pumping water and possibly spraying out and causing steam from a hot power head. Just a guess

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Considering there is near zero support for Chinese cloned stuff because it is just different enough that the parts it's supposedly cloned from don't fit.... What are your plans when it breaks.....

I spent a year trying to get parts for a Chinese moped.... Finally food the splitting axe to it and worked out my frustrations...... I can still get parts for my domestic and Japanese products going back over 40 years

GA_Boater

I was thinking the power head isn't torqued properly or they didn't use a gasket between the PH and midsection.

mattinspire

Cadet
I was thinking the power head isn't torqued properly or they didn't use a gasket between the PH and midsection.

​Thanks, that's my fear also. I've tried to find some exploded views of the Yamaha 15hp powerhead to midsection join, but have been unable to.

​Am I right in my assumption that the only places exhaust gases and cooling water should be appearing are at the idle exhaust relief ports and through the prop? (and that what I'm seeing is not a 'normal' phenomenon).

​Any idea on the potential issues this may cause? The tell-tale stream of water is strong and the engine seems to run fine. My worst fear is sea water somehow finding it's way into the cylinders.

Here's some more clips showing it from both sides and idle to 1/4 throttle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgC7QsomjSQ

Cheers,
​Matt.

Last edited:

mattinspire

Cadet
No Title

Hi All,

Just to close the loop on this one, the factory in China has been very communicative with the business I purchased the motor from. Based on the videos I uploaded, they have determined the location of a missing/damaged gasket and are sending the part direct to me via express courier. The cost of the repair will also be covered by the business I purchased the motor from.

To assist with orientation of the attached pictures, the opening on the extreme right side is where the water and exhaust was escaping from (where the top transom mount enters the leg). The opening to the extreme left is the idle exhaust relief port.

I must say that I've been pleasantly surprised with the speed and cooperation of the manufacturer and seller in admitting there is a fault and taking steps to resolve it.

Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

Cheers,
Matt.

Attachments

• photo252716.png
    photo252716.png
    331.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo252717.png
    photo252717.png
    308 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Matt - Let us know if the gasket and repair takes care of the problem.

One thing that concerns us about "off" brand motors is follow up support, so your experience so far is a pleasant surprise.