need help with Hiawatha 5 hp

claytn74

Cadet
Im new to this old motor repair. Fist off cant find the year of it. The oil/grease for the lower unit changed at some point and I can't figure out what it should take. Smell of it is oil but trying to replace it with the recommended 80-90 Marine will not stay inn.it seeps out of the vent and two small holes.please help
James

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your motor is a 1947, made by Gale Products Division of OMC. Those motors had rather poor seals when new, and were designed to use "Outboard Motor Gear Grease", no longer made. Most people use Lubriplate 105 "Motor Assembly Grease", available from NAPA Auto Parts Stores.

Because of the poor seals, frequent re-lubrication was needed to get the water out. People accepted that back in 1947 as normal.

claytn74

Cadet
Thank you both. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. . Btw I take her or she doesn't let it go lolšŸ˜”

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put up a pic of your motor because a 1956 will NOT take lubriplate grease as it's a scott built motor with gearshift takes 80w90. A 1947 will take lubriplate.

claytn74

Cadet
How lol.the site says the file exceeds limit no matter how I try to up load it.I've tried the oil and it comes right back out through the vent and two small holes above the gear housing

claytn74

Cadet
Site will not let me add a picture. Did get the lubriplate inn.its a 1947.Thanks again for the help. Now on to the gas and hopefully it runsšŸ˜†

claytn74

Cadet
How or where can I get a manual for the motor? Got it to start a couple of times briefly. Now I get nothing grr.

claytn74

Cadet
Thank you FR got it to run but not constantly. Thinking there's a float issue or siffion problem Rom the tank.plus there's no cooling of the engine going on.

claytn74

Cadet
Ok fellas I'm back.. well so I have recently been told it's a 1956. Finally got it starting and running then found out it had a bad impeller. I replaced it to day. Well now it won't start nor even attempt to start. Here is my questions lol.. 1. Is the propeller supposed to turn free while starting? 2. I can't seem to find a neutral point to get it to pull freely. What could I have done wrong??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
My apologies, it is a 1956. I was confused by the similarity with the 1947 Gale model. Your model does indeed come up as a 1956, made by Scott-Atwater.

Yes, the propeller should turn freely if the shifter is in neutral. I'm not sure if there is a starter lockout on that motor or not. I better not say, because I might be wrong---again.

claytn74

Cadet
Well the only thing that changed was a new impeller unless there is some wrong way to put it back in. It is a different impeller from the original 8 prong it's a 10 and was about a 32 longer. Could it be that it's to tight?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Did you fill the lower unit with lubriplate or 80w90. I don't believe you have a starter lockout, your impeller will be fine unless you put the omc propeller in. Did you connect everything back up correctly.

claytn74

Cadet
Yes I use,lubriplate. I believe I did. Kinda thinking it's the extra pressure from the new part maybe