Motor wont fire

swampmiser

Recruit
Ok, so finally figured out how to install the recoil {properly lol), so now its time to start, 7.5 westbend shark. Attached fuel line, fresh mix but wont fire. New plugs seated nice when i remove cannot smell any gas on them. Assuming a plug or something along that line, suggestions? First time fixing up an old motor and loving it, but it needs to start lol. Seems to have nice compression, in neutral , but just wont fire???

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How long has the motor sat? Needle and seat could be stuck

gm280

Supreme Mariner
swampmiser, Have to looked to see what is feeding the spark plug? I mean is there a spark coil and if so do you have anything firing the primary side of the coil? Is it points ignition? And if so are they clean and gaped correctly? It shouldn't be very hard to isolate where the problem is in that setup. Post some pictures of the engine and the ignition setup so we an offer better suggestions. JMHO

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Have you checked for spark? I'm assuming that motor has a Wico magneto. Wico breaker points develop a corrosion when not used for a long time that almost looks like mold. You can see the white stuff on the contacts in the attached picture. Take them apart and clean and polish each contact shiny bright and reassemble and set gap to .020" at widest opening. Needless to say if you see cracked coils or anything, that is an additional concern.

Attachments

• photo251744.jpg
    photo251744.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 0