7.5 hp Ted Williams

rhbcolumbine

Cadet
I really need a service manual, can anyone send me a pdf?? drbenson@live.com is my email. motor is 217-5888, serial 152728, 1973 model yes?
I cleaned the carb, changed lower unit oil, and check the impeller (was good). The motor starts easily, idles fine, but when I engage the prop and increase throttle, I get an distinct "bang" in the lower unit that occurs every 15-20 seconds. I filled the oil in the lower unit to the top letting the vent assist the oil to migrate down. I'm wondering is it overfull? If the gears froth up the oil and being incompressible...... The motor runs great with prop engaged at idle speed, only at higher rpms does it get noisy.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: rhbcolumbine to iboats...

I use to own a Ted Williams 7.5 HP OB. But it has been so many years ago now that I really don't remember much about it. I would assume that lower foot oil only goes in 'til it fills up to the usual outlet plug below the anti-cavitation plate like most other engines. But that is only a guess. If you search the net for your engine, that are lots of exploded views of your engine to look at and that may lead to better answers. JMHO

JerBear

Recruit
Hi Brim_Buster, thanks for the feedback. Everybody agrees with you as far as the motor being a good find and probably a good one to hold on to. I would appreciate the prof you offered; life seems simpler when one has a manual to follow along with.....lol.

Thanks again for your quick response, members like you are invaluable to groups like this. I became re-interested after picking up this boat and motor last weekend. Had to sell my 12' porta-bote last month after 9 years of great experiences due to age and a bad back, hopefully this aluminum boat will be easier to launch, etc.

My e-mail's: jerry09095@yahoo.com and I really appreciate your sharing your copy of the Eska manual with me.

Later, Jerry "O" aka JerBear