Gale Outboard Parts Availability

I am looking at a boat for sale that has a 40 hp Gale outboard from the early 1960's. I know this was a division of OMC. Does this suggest parts are generally available, and part numbers may even be the same as 40 hp Johnson parts?
Thanks for any help here.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There were 40 hp Gales in 1961, 62, and 63. While some parts may fit, there might be some differences like no thermostats or the fiberglass cowl and midsection design. I know the 1971 thru 1976 40hp Evinrude and Johnsons and later "commercial" 40s were referred to as "Gale" motors. I am speculating as I have never seen a 1960s 40 hp Gale.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

As an old mechanic for a Gail dealer, I can tell you that if the part is the same, the part number is the same between Gale, Johnson, and Evinrude. I can also tell you that with the exception of the cowl (shape), darn near everything on the 40 Gale was used on J/E at one time or another. I can also tell you that I personally owned a 40 Gale and ran it for a number of years. A very satisfactory motor.

If you do buy one, do yourself a big favor and get a parts list specific to your particular model. Parts are available at any Evinrude dealer (inasmuch as J/E parts are). But they won't give you the time of day unless you go in armed with part numbers. That's partly because they don't have the book either.

Attachments

• photo251126.jpg
    photo251126.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1