Sea King fuel pump overhaul kit

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
000_0008.JPG

I'm trying to locate an overhaul kit for my 1961 Sea King 5 hp (GG18736). I've tried looking through the Sierra catalog, but none of the kits look exactly like what I've pulled apart. I'd sure welcome any thoughts/suggestions/ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

• 000_0008.JPG
    000_0008.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
They quit making replacement parts for that pump 50 years ago. Slap a new Sierra 18-7350 or 18-7351 pump on it. You will have to re-route the hoses, buy hey you were going to replace them anyway, right? I prefer the 18-7351 because it is simpler.

Last edited:

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
Got it. This is the first outboard motor I've worked on, but NOT the first time I've heard "They quit making parts for THAT years ago!!" Thanks for the information on what will fit - that really helps. I'll go with the 7351, and I think I'll go ahead and buy a rebuild kit and put it in the parts bin. The engine sat in a shed for several years and was given to me over 30 years ago. Now I'm looking at getting it running again after all these years of sitting. After tearing it down, I find that the pistons are badly scored and the rings pretty much frozen in place. (Probably why it was sitting in the shed in the first place.) The lower end needle bearings and the crank journals look smooth and shiny. Now I'm working on cleaning up the block and checking out the cylinder bores to see if they're good enough to be useful. We'll see. The next challenge is finding a gasket kit, pistons and rings. Oh yeah, and new fuel line.

Thanks again for the help, FR.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Attachments

• photo250535.jpg
    photo250535.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250536.jpg
    photo250536.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Vintage Iron, if you really like the original fuel pump, have you actually opened it up to see if you could repair it with out a kit? If the diaphragm is hardened up or even split, maybe you can use a diaphragm from another fuel pump to work. It would really depend on how big the diaphragm is in size and how it is made. If it is merely a rubber piece, then maybe you can replace it with a suitable piece and make it work again. It really all depends how it is designed and works. JMHO

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
FR - Thank you for the illustrations. Having part numbers is a WONDERFUL thing! This gives me a starting point to cross reference and search for needed replacements. Here's what I discovered playing around last night - Put a '0' in front of the Gale part number and it suddenly becomes an Evinrude part number!!! Crowley Marine and Marine Engine Parts recognize these numbers and now I have access to new pistons, rings, rods, gaskets and even crankshafts. This is incredible! Instead of looking at used and cast-off parts, I now can build a motor that'll truly take me across the lake and back. Thank you!

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
GM - I like your idea. I'm cleaning all the pump parts and storing them and the saved gaskets. I'll keep searching and see if I can't find what I need to put a half-century old fuel pump back into service. It's really cool to see mechanical history coming to life. Here's what I'll be looking for:
000_0011.JPG 000_0013.JPG

The diaphram and a matching gasket are the biggest challenges. The rest of the innards are fine - tiny springs, synthetic plastic valves and brass stuff. All that cleaned up very nicely. In the meantime, I'll use the info FR provided and get a Sierra pump to get things going. Thanks for the idea!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM - I like your idea. I'm cleaning all the pump parts and storing them and the saved gaskets. I'll keep searching and see if I can't find what I need to put a half-century old fuel pump back into service. It's really cool to see mechanical history coming to life. Here's what I'll be looking for:

The diaphram and a matching gasket are the biggest challenges. The rest of the innards are fine - tiny springs, synthetic plastic valves and brass stuff. All that cleaned up very nicely. In the meantime, I'll use the info FR provided and get a Sierra pump to get things going. Thanks for the idea!

VI, If you can find a large diaphragm, from any other item, that would fit all the area with that metal section installed, or even without that metal section, you can get it and make it work for your older pump. You can always install the metal section from your old diaphragm to make a new sheet rubbery part to work. I realize a new pump will solve your needs. But that old part can still be brought back to usable life as well if you are wanting to keep it as original as possible. JMHO!

Maybe even a diaphragm from an old chevy mechanical fuel pump. :noidea:

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a carb kit off a vendor on ebay.

000_0020 (1).JPG

Took the carb apart and cleaned everything. Paid special attention to all the drilled passageways. It's back together and sealed in a plastic bag, waiting to be put to use. Gotta tell ya, this is a LOT of fun!

000_0017.JPG

Attachments

• 000_0020 (1).JPG
    000_0020 (1).JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 0

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
VI, If you can find a large diaphragm, from any other item, that would fit all the area with that metal section installed, or even without that metal section, you can get it and make it work for your older pump. You can always install the metal section from your old diaphragm to make a new sheet rubbery part to work. I realize a new pump will solve your needs. But that old part can still be brought back to usable life as well if you are wanting to keep it as original as possible. JMHO!

Maybe even a diaphragm from an old chevy mechanical fuel pump. :noidea:

Ya know, I hadn't considered automotive sources. Kinda figured that the compactness and specialized applications of marine components would limit vendors and choices. On the other hand, more than one motor had to use this pump. Maybe not identical, but very similar. And since Chrysler was the blanket organization for a lot of these motors, that really opens up some possibilities.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ya know, I hadn't considered automotive sources. Kinda figured that the compactness and specialized applications of marine components would limit vendors and choices. On the other hand, more than one motor had to use this pump. Maybe not identical, but very similar. And since Chrysler was the blanket organization for a lot of these motors, that really opens up some possibilities.

VI, I did a little looking and there a re a few places that sell very large diaphragms and just the material to make one as well. So you could buy the material and make one to work. JMHO

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
Ya know, there's a vendor on ebay selling new OEM Gale fuel pumps. Those new pumps are assembled with new, freshly manufactured gaskets, diaphragms and innards. That means those parts are out there. I wish that company would start marketing an overhaul kit. At the very least, it would support their own product. Not to mention all the folks out there with 50's and 60's vintage small Gale outboards. We're talking a ready-made market here!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ya know, there's a vendor on ebay selling new OEM Gale fuel pumps. Those new pumps are assembled with new, freshly manufactured gaskets, diaphragms and innards. That means those parts are out there. I wish that company would start marketing an overhaul kit. At the very least, it would support their own product. Not to mention all the folks out there with 50's and 60's vintage small Gale outboards. We're talking a ready-made market here!

VI, why not contact that company and ask them to either sell you the diaphragm or tell you where to get one. It is worth the time. If you explain to them that you want to keep your pump because it is part of the original engine, they may offer one for sell. :noidea:

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
Yup, tried that. The response was "We don't carry that." I can buy a new pump, of course. Right now, that certainly focuses people on purchasing the pump as a complete unit. But at some point, those new pumps are going to need rebuilding. Like I said, the market for this product already exists!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Actually, that guy is not selling the original pump, he is selling new "square" pumps. You can get them here at iboats too.

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
I'm glad to hear that. I can't tell the difference between the 'square pump' and my original OEM pump. I haven't checked the price at iboats, but I'd really like to keep my motor looking absolutely stock. Thanks again FR!

s-l225.jpg

Vintage Iron

Seaman Apprentice
Slap a new Sierra 18-7350 or 18-7351 pump on it. You will have to re-route the hoses, buy hey you were going to replace them anyway, right? I prefer the 18-7351 because it is simpler.

FR, why do you prefer the 7351? I notice they're about twice the price of the more compact 7350.