Sea King Outboard ID

Graywolf678

Recruit
My son just came home with a Montgomery Ward outboard motor. The motor has been repainted so the only thing to identify it is a tag that gives Model number# 14GG8827 and Serial# 7710. It starts up and runs great but we know nothing about it, year, horsepower etc.Any help identifying it would be appreciated.

southkogs

Staff member
Moved ya' to a new topic Gray: Take a look at the forum rules, we ask that you don't post to topics over 90 days old unless you're the original poster.

F_R said that the outboard is a 1941. We'll see what else folks can help ya' with.

Welcome aboard.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It was made by Gale Products Division of OMC for Montgomery Ward. It is 5 horsepower. There actually are more of them still around and still running than you might think. Fuel mix is 16:1, that's 1/2 pint of oil per gallon of gasoline. Lower unit takes Lubriplate 105 "Motor Assembly Grease" available from NAPA Auto Parts Stores.

Graywolf678

Recruit
You guys are great, thank you very much. Now at least we have a place to start from. Sorry about the closed posting thing, I was new here and didn't read the rules and was just trying to get help before my son made a big exploratory mistake and ruin an antique. Thanks again.