1948 1.5 hp Goodyear Seabee prop removal

Scott53

Seaman
I'm parting out a Goodyear Seabee and I'm trying to remove the prop and I'm puzzled on how to remove it off the prop shaft.I removed the lower end and have the prop shaft.gear.housing,prop as one unit and It seems that the prop is pinned to the shaft.There are 2 holes on the prop housing and I can't see what might be holding the prop.I tried a gear puller and it feels like it's pinned in.Are the holes for access to a screw or pin?The prop nut is missing.Any help would be great.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
post a pic but my firestone prop was a bear to get off but that was cuz of the prop nut. Unless the shear pin is completely out it mite be holding you up. Thats an oldie I would have to look at my manual to see.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

That is not the correct parts list. Besides, there were two 1948 1.5hp models. Post the model number for more info. In the meantime, here is one of them.

The holes in the prop are water intake holes. There is nothing holding that prop on except rust and corrosion. You will have to deal with that in the usual fashion (s).

Attachments

• photo249627.jpg
    photo249627.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott53

Seaman
F R,could you shoot me some ideas on removing a stuck prop.I have not had to deal with one yet.I did try to hammer it off and tried a gear puller but no success.

Brim Buster,not able to download a picture on my end,sorry.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I have to take back what I said. There was only one model of the 1.5 in 1948 (the one you have). There were two models in 1949. But they are mostly the same with minor differences.

As for the prop, heating it would be the only hope. But if you look closely at the diagram it has a big hollow place inside, so it is difficult to get the heat to the portion that surrounds the shaft. Plan B would be to cut it off.

Scott53

Seaman
Ok.I'll give them a try I would hate to cut the prop or shaft because of me selling the parts but I'll do what I have to.

Thanks F_ R.

Scott53

Seaman
Yesterday I attempted to remove the prop again and I damaged the prop in the vice.Took a chunk out of one of the blades and crunched the housing.I talked myself out of heating the prop after what F R said and looking at the diagram the void in there would not let me heat the housing around the shaft.I used a hammer to pound the prop off the shaft.Bad idea.I cut the shaft and removed the gear.The remaining shaft is still stuck in the prop so I cleaned up the gear housing on the leg,cleaned the armature plate,took of the coil with a reading of 3.7 ohms,points,condenser.I've listed the motor on craigslist as a parts motor hoping someone is looking for parts.I appreciate the advice I got on this motor and will look for advice here again on my next project.