1951 Elgin 7.5 hp coil location

Scott53

Seaman
I have a Elgin 7.5 hp motor I'm working on and I have replaced the original coils with coils for a envinrude/johnson magneto and I forgot the location for them on the armature plate.The way I have them now are bottom cylinder on top facing the motor and top cylinder on the bottom.Is this correct?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Universal rule: Rotate shaft until points are just about to open. That is the points set (and associated coil) that fires whichever piston is at top of stroke.

Scott53

Seaman
F R. I gave it a try yesterday and no go.It appears that I'm not getting any spark to the spark plugs.I have new plugs,new plug wires,coils condensers.Points have been cleaned and filed.My ohm's readings are 7.6 and 9.4 on the secondary winding's.1.0 on the primary winding's.I noticed that one of the laminates have worn a groove in the magnet part of the flywheel.Would that be a problem?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Probably not. The first thing that comes to my mind is are you sure you have the correct points sets connected to the correct coils? With points about to open as I just said, the magnets should be passing by the associated coil.

Correct wires connected to points and ground (not reversed)?

Breaker cam right side up?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You suggested that perhaps the coil laminations have been dragging on the magnets. I wonder if you are aware that Wico laminations are matched to the mag plate and should not be swapped between plates, or even swapped between positions on the same plate. That would not be causing your total lack of spark but is something you should be thinking about as you proceed in the project.

Scott53

Seaman
Everything is hooked up right.I think I found the problem.I went on the Oddjobmotors website and they had a tech tip for the Wico coil replacement.I used this site to replace the original coils for OMC coils and I noticed how the lead off the coil is connected to the condenser.I connected mine to the adjusting screw for the points.I will try to switch it around and give it a try tomorrow.Thanks again for your expertise.I'll let you know how things work out.

Scott53

Seaman
F R, I reset the points after I put the primary lead on the condenser.Started up on the second pull and ran for a few seconds.I started working on this motor in April and the first thing I took care of was the coils,wires.They were hooked up correctly and I forgot about how it suppose to be.Now I'm waiting on getting a lower end for it and then I can set everything up.Thanks for you help again.