Tohatsu M70A2 Stalling- won't start

Petedacook

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I have a Tohatsu M70A2 that has been dying, hard to start, and dies leaving us stranded for a while.

In general, the motor is hard to start and idles poorly. It has to be turned over many times before it will stay running where I can put it in gear. Once warm and running a bit, it will die if I leave it at an idle for 1 minute or more. These symptoms might give an insight to the community on what is causing the big problem I experience.

On really hot days, after running 30+ minutes or so, the motor will die. This has happened several times. I have trouble shot this down to no fuel getting to the combustion chamber. Fuel enters/leaves the fuel pump at a decent rate, and fuel is in the carburetors when I remove the bowl screw. I have spark at the plugs, and have replaced them during times the motor has cut off on us. And when I pull the plugs, they are bone dry. After I tinker around the engine for a while, the engine will start and run. There is nothing i did to make it start other than mess around with it trouble shooting. I do not find a problem other than fuel not getting to the combustion chambers past the carburetors.

I figure the problem is one of two things:

1. Loose screws on the carb's and/or intake manifold. I checked the screws last night and found them 1/4 or a little more loose. I have tightened them, but have not taken it out for testing.
2. The reeds need replacement.

My questions:

1. any other possibilities I might have missed in this diagnosis, given the symptoms?
2. Should I go ahead and replace the reeds? We all know boating will nickel and dime us to death, so if i can save a few bucks by not replacing something that is not broke, I'm all for it. I don't want to waste money.
3. Am I missing anything overall?

Thank for any advice,

Pete

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Have the MOD move this to the tohatsu/Nissan forum you will get better answers there.