1959 Gale 3D15B 3hp

RJ045

Cadet
How much water should this be pumping pulled the prop and looked at the water pump rotor just cant see how this thing works changed a few impellers you can see how they pump but this I cant figure? concerned it's not pumping.

Thanks

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
my question is if you pulled the prop how you saw the water pump impellor :facepalm:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

It should slobber quite a bit of water out the slots on the rear any time it is running.

Water pump impeller (properly called a "rotor") should fit snugly on the eccentric in the center, and be touching the housing somewhere on the outer OD. The other side should have approx 1/8" clearance and the depth should be same as the cavity. If you watch that space as you slowly rotate the shaft you will see it appear on the intake side of the pump and progress around to the outlet side, where it disappears. Then it re-appears at the intake side and takes in another gulp of water.

Those rotors are notorious for swelling up from grease leaking out of the gearcase.

EDIT: The 1959 motors have a different prop without the water holes. It scoops the water from around the hub.

Attachments

• photo7699.jpg
    photo7699.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

RJ045

Cadet
As you have described thanks very much for your help, was worried it was going to over heat.

RJ045

Cadet
Sorry forgot to mention I don't seem to have the water inlet hole in my prop ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

So FR those motors have a rotor and an impellor to pump water to the top or just the rotor behind the prop?

"Rotor" and "impeller" are both used to describe what Gale calls a "rotor". Whatever you call it, it is the doohicky that pumps water up to and though the powerhead to cool it. It also is often called a "wobbler pump" by old timer outboard guys. It really isn't that unusual. A number of manufacturers also used wobbler pumps, some behind the prop, and some on the vertical drive shaft. Some names you might recognize are Gale, Johnson, Martin, Scott-Atwater, McCulloch, Chrysler, etc. Here is a picture of one on a Scott-Atwater that was used for many years

Attachments

• photo248806.jpg
    photo248806.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 3

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Martin used a different shape, but same concept, and works the same way

Attachments

• photo248808.jpg
    photo248808.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 3

RJ045

Cadet
Another Question please
Regarding grease plug I have no drain screw or gasket on other side of the gear housing from it just two small holes about 3" apart don't see any threads in either of them but could be wrong also would like to confirm that Lubriplate 105 is the recommended grease for this application.

Thanks in advance

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Oh, but it does have a drain/fill screw on one side and a vent screw on the opposite side. The vent screw looks like an ordinary screw. If you look real closely, you can see it on mine.

Yes, Lubriplate 105. Or John Deere Cornhead grease. But the Lubriplate comes in a handy squeeze tube.

Attachments

• photo249074.jpg
    photo249074.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 1

RJ045

Cadet
See the two small holes above the screw which I have jsut went to look at it again what looks kike to me is a grease nipple on closer exam I can see what looks like the slot of a screw sticking under it ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Those two holes are drain holes. They drain cavities inside the case. If not drained, water in there could freeze and bust the case. They are almost always plugged up with dirt and crud. Freezing is no problem here in Florida. I have no idea why some genius decided to modify yours.

I only have about seven of those motors. The screw I pointed out is the vent screw---trust me.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Attachments

• photo249084.jpg
    photo249084.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 0

RJ045

Cadet
I believe you Thanks there a neat little motor gonna have to figure if I can remove the fitting.