Gale 5hp outboard submerged in recent WV floods.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, the historic and devastating floods of WV got my outboard. Luckily didn't too get much inside the home itself, but the basement and the garage were hit hard.

Unfortunately I had the cover off my 1962ish Gale (Johnson) 5HP, and the motor fell off the floating garage bench and was submerged. It also broke the two of the three rear brackets for the recoil starter (intake manifold?). I've found one that is listed for a 57-58 Johnson 5.5, will this fit?

I've sprayed it down with WD-40, and will tear it down at a later date. Guess will have to completely disassemble and clean it, have heard of running a bunch of diesel fuel through it to clean, but would feel better with a complete teardown and clean.

Any tips or advice? Thanks in advance for any info.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey it running asap or any water inside the motor will rust the bearings

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Agreed, tear it down and clean it up. Attempting to start it after this much time could further damage it. That motor has needle bearing rods (think rust). Intake manifold (for 1962) is part # 592282, gasket is 552622. Used on Gale motors only

Last edited:

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks all for the help, maybe I can get this one up and running, least salvage something from this flood. May try and get to it this weekend, know the quicker the better, and would kind of like to get a fishing trip in for a little R&R, (course have ti find a truck now too..)

Anyway, found one listed as an intake for a 5d22b, but don't know if that will fit. I am away and unfortunately can't look to compare.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300208738289

Did have sort of a picture of mine, and it looks like it is the same, but can't quite tell. Has the same looking ears, and looks like the bolt hole in the middle is the same.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, I did the leg work and found that 1958 (5D15) through 1963 (5D22) all use the same intake manifold 592282. 1963 was the last year they were made.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you've waited more than a day or so to try and get it running the motor could be toast, if water gets into the crankcase the bearings (plus other things) can rust, and there's no easy fix other than a complete rebuild.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you F_R, is appreciated.

I ordered it up, found on a little cheaper, so should be good.

I'll tear it down to check. The bearings are what concern me too, did fill with WD-40, but of course can't tell if kept rust down till teardown.

Hopefully it's okay and I can refurbish it, it is such a great running motor.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, finally got around to it.

Ordered that intake piece from eBay, and that was the correct piece.

The can of WD-40 seems to have done the trick, as it doesn't appear to be rusty.

I've got it tore apart, and have the rear clamshell cover off, but have a question.

Want to take the pistons out and put the whole case in the parts washer and clean it up.

Do I just pull pistons and crank out of the bore? It looks like it will come out easily enough, but the bore doesn't have the beveled edges like I see on other two strokes like chainsaws.

How do I get the rings to slide back into the cylinder?

Will I need a special ring compressor?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure the bores aren't tapered? I'm thinking they are. I do know that the older Gale 5's needed ring compessors, but I don't think this one does.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, was looking through my pictures, and appears that maybe they are?

I see a slight taper, which may be enough to get them to go. I actually hadn't saw that till I looked at the picture, was envisioning a larger taper I suppose. Does look like there are larger ones spaced out, guessing that is enough to squeeze the rings and set them into the smaller taper?

Will try it this weekend, was just concerned with catching a ring and breaking it trying to get it in there.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally have it back together.

All assembled and ready to be fired up after I get some lower unit oil.

Had it down that far, so it got a new impeller and shaft seals.

Got new seals for the carburetor also, but have a question.

Removed the carb needles to clean them and install the new gaskets, but lost my paper that I'd written down the turns from fully seated.

Does anyone know how many turns from seated the low and high carb adjustments should be preliminarily set at?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
One turn on high speed and 1-1/2 turns on slow speed will get it running. Adjust from there on a boat, on the lake.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank ya.

Fnally got some lower unit oil, and fired it up in a garbage can with those settings and got it running.

Was close with the low speed needle at 1-1/2 turns, but seems to be 1/4 turn out on the high screw is where it just begins to stop missing in gear at ~3/4 throttle, though not enough water to load it at full throttle.

Seems like that's too lean to me though, wondering if I either got dirt in carb or maybe didn't get something together right?