First Time Outboard Repair... Need some opinions...

N8ter3

Recruit
Hello,

I have picked up my first outboard to learn a little more about them and how to fix them. My outboard is a 7.5 hp Montgomery Ward Sea King. It is a single cylinder two cycle engine. It will start and run, poorly. This is because it will no run unless the choke is fully on and it misfires about half of the time.

So, after reading some forums, I decided to rebuild the carb and fuel pump, they have been stripped, clean, and everything that can be replaced, has. After putting it back together it ran a little better, but still misfires half of the time.

Next, I thought that the points must have been out of wack, so I figured I should replace them. while I was down there, ill replace the magneto coil and clean everything up.

When I took the flywheel off, I noticed that there was no key to hold it in position. Is this a problem? Could this be why i'm having issues? Does the fly wheel need to be in a specific position, or can it just be put on the in at any angle from it?

Also, when I took the magneto off, there where a lot of large (0.75" to 1" long) metal shavings sitting in a small puddle of oil on the seal above the shaft. Are these a problem or just normal wear and tear?

Thanks,
N8.

(
Flywheel and shaft with metal slivers in the base of the black seal)

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yes that is a problem you have to have a flywheel key the shavings are from the flywheel spinning loosely. Pretty sure that is a clinton motor go to the AOMCI website and put up a free ad. Or do a google search

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Clinton Engines Corporation
22563 35th Street
Maquoketa, IA 52060-8640
(563) 652-2411
They are a "cash" only place, they don't accept credit cards. If they are not there leave a message, and they do get back to you. tell them what you need, they take your order, then call you back with the price for parts and shipping.