1955 5 HP SCOTT ATWATER BAIL O MATIC POINT SET

Simkodan

Recruit
Just learning how to use this site, so please excuse me if I do this wrong. Can anyone tell me where the set points are on the 1955 5hp Scott Atwater Bail O Matic and whether the throttle should be in Stop, Start or Fast?

Simkodan

Recruit
Can anyone tell me where the set point marks are on the 1955 5 hp Scott Atwater and whether they should be set with the throttle at stop, start or fast? It ran for a very short time in slow, tried to speed up and it slowly died. It's in beautiful shape, so I really want to make it work!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You should put this in other outboards. But to set the points there is a mark on the cam take the plugs out and flywheel off. To rotate the cam put it in forward and rotate the prop until the high spot hits the points set it there does not matter where the throttle is. You can ask the moderator to move this.

Waterbums

Cadet
Flyingscott, I guess I did this wrong, I was going to try to offer assistance to the fella that was asking about setting points.
I have gotten my 56 bailamatic 7.5 hp running pretty good. Only issue I have now is at pretty much any speed after a while of running it gets real rough and final dies even bumping the choke. Almost like if the gas cap wasn't venting. I've learned if I give the ball a squeeze it picks right back up perfectly. The glass bowl on bottom ofte pump still has gas but I think, I hope that thick home made diaphragm is the problem. Also the guy before me switched fuel connectors over to OMC type. Unless there is a slight air leak in connection I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Anyhow, off to order the material you recommend for fuel diaphragm for process of elimination troubleshooting.

Waterbums

Cadet
You can get a manual this is the shop repair manual for outboard mechanics for authorized dealers back then at www.repairmanuals4u.com. This helped me with EVERTHING during my rebuild of my 56 bailamatic 7.5. It covers just about all and you can get many other manuals for obsolete motors. Good part my 400 page manual only cost like $4.95 and it's available instantly.