1963 Gale Sovereign

robstead

Seaman
The insulators are there to PREVENT something bad from happening. That bad something is arcing through the side of the coil to the case. If it is not arcing through, the bad thing has not happened, so is not the problem. But once it does arc through, the coil is shot. It's up to you to decide whether or not to put them in to prevent arcing through in the future.

Upon closer look, I guess I do see the ground wire, under the head of the screw that holds the coil in--where it is supposed to be.

Thanks for the heads up, will order one once the new points and condensers come and see if it was the fix.

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, I've noticed that it is basically an exact replica of the Evinrude Fat Fifty and all the other HP versions.

If the Gale 60 has no other improvements, it should have the more streamlined gearcase from the 75HP models.
After the demise of Gale, Johnson/Evinrude continued selling the 60 (later 65).

robstead

Seaman
Went ahead and replaced the points and installed the new condenser, no spark..

Connected the black wire coming from the magneto to the ground stud, huge bright blue spark!

Going to put some oil into the pistons and let it soak before trying to fire it up again tomorrow, is it normal for a spark only to be seen on the sparkplug for the 1st Cylinder?

robstead

Seaman
Cleaned some points in the cap and tested all the spark plug leads and got spark on all 4 wires.
Pumped some gas into the system and a little in the carbs, gave it a couple good pulls and it fired up, runs rough, but runs.

Going to run it again tomorrow and make some carb adjustments.

Does Joe Reeves carb adjustments apply to duel carb motors?
Also I tried hooking a battery up to the motor instead of trying to pull start it, the bendix drive spins but doesn't engage. Is it as simply as just pulling it off and checking it out?

Thanks for all the help and will post a video when I can get it idling smooth.

robstead

Seaman
No Title

So I recently replaced the fuel lines and everything because I noticed everything was dry rotted and shot. When I get everything primed up there is a small couple drips that overflows over the glass bowl, and if I pump again gas shoots out of this hole.

Is this the carb overflow? I tried looking at the manual and everywhere else but it hard to see in the pictures.

Attachments

• photo247572.jpg
    photo247572.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No it is a hole that needs to be plugged or one half the carb is not going to have a high speed(main) circuit. I think a brass plug was used but a proper size piece of lead shot tapped in place should work

Last edited:

robstead

Seaman
No it is a hole that needs to be plugged or one half the carb is not going to have a high speed(main) circuit. I think a brass plug was used but a proper size piece of lead shot tapped in place should work

Thanks for the info jimmbo,

Is the bowl leakage common? I've tried everything and it still drips and I've checked for hairline cracks but nothing shows. Could I put in O-Ring up there to help or is there no way around it?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Bowl leakage? I assume you're referring to the fuel pump? I thought it was a gasket there

robstead

Seaman
No Title

Bowl leakage? I assume you're referring to the fuel pump? I thought it was a gasket there

Sorry I should've been more specific, but this bowl, unless we are talking about the same one.

Attachments

• photo247589.jpg
    photo247589.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That's on the fuel pump. Gasket, part # 302675.

Last edited:

robstead

Seaman
Quick update, I took apart the carb and cleaned everything out again and made a make shift plug to cover the missing one to complete the high speed and after dumping some gas down the barrels and letting it run while making carb adjustments I have it idling.

These motors sound absolutely amazing! The plug I made spit out while it was idling and the gas slowly leaked out but hopefully I can make a better one this time.