Question on 1977 Gamefisher 9.9

dmcwhorter01

Recruit
I have a 1977 Gamefisher 9.9 that is not getting any spark. I have located the parts to correct the problem but was told that I was wasting my time and money because the motor is junk regardless due to it being made by Tecumseh. I was told that no matter what I do the Tecumseh motors were not designed correctly and will overheat and ruin the motor. I was also told that Sears bought a great majority of these motors back because of this problem, anyone have any insight on this? I don't want to sink more money into a motor that is destined to ultimately fail me in the middle of the summer.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
mine never failed me when I had it. Was a great motor. Very light and easy to use and get parts for. I had a 76 and a 94.The later was made by Force. The solid state ignition on yours is probably shot and that was the only problem I ever heard of. The fuel pump bladder was inserted into the carb and had to be put in just like it was removed at like 2 oclock.Twist grip worked good and all in all a good motor, Kinda wish I still had mine and they bring good money on ebay from what I see. I still look for a steal of a deal but those are the ones that a tore up and need alot of work. Air cooled with a water cooled leg.