Vintage 5 HP Wards Clinton help

blackoak

Cadet
I got a 5 hp Wards with a Clinton motor. It hasn't been ran in years. I put ne fuel and impulse lines on it, a new carburetor, new plug fresh gas and it will not start when I put it in a barrel of water. It will fire and sputter, but will not take off. I have adjusted the carb to every possible setting with no results. I have checked the points, it has good spark. The thing that I don't understand is I was getting very upset and had it out of the barrel just mounted on my bench vise and pulled the starter it fired right up. I quickly shut it of and put it back in the barrel with the same results. It will fire and sputter, but not run. I took it back out and on my bench vise it will fire right up and run. I have broken and repaired two starter ropes, got blister between my finger from screwing with it. I'm about to do very bad thing to this little motor if something don't change. Please help me out if anybody can. I have been wrenching on chainsaws for 25 years and thought a two stroke is a two stroke, but this dang thing has me stumped.

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
see if there is a high speed adjustment screw on the bottom of the float bowl. I tried to scan the page in the manual to post it here but it exceeds the size limit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Blackoak, you say you have been working on chainsaws for years. Interestingly enough, the Clinton outboard originally was designed as a chainsaw engine. So I'm not going to tell you something you already know. But back to the problem at hand--running on the stand but not in the water is a typical sign of a motor that is worn out. It just doesn't have enough power to overcome the load on the prop and exhaust back-pressure. Yours looks to be in pretty nice condition, so it probably is not worn out. However, it may be seriously damaged internally. Have you done a compression test? Have you checked the reeds? It might also have carboned-up exhaust ports.

blackoak

Cadet
see if there is a high speed adjustment screw on the bottom of the float bowl. I tried to scan the page in the manual to post it here but it exceeds the size limit.

The new carb didn't have a speed adjustment screw in the bowl, just a bolt holding it on. The old carb did have one. I have put the old adjustment screw in the new one and it does make a difference, but I really haven't got to run it long enough to try and get it set.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Somebody might have run it without oil??? Back to check the compression.

blackoak

Cadet
It has a 135psi of compression on my gauge. Not the greatest but enough to run I would think. I cleaned the exhaust holes in the lower unit, but not the port in the cylinder. I will check out the reeds ASAP. Can the timing be adjusted on these little motors? With the coil that moves with the throttle, I don't see how. It did back fire through the carb a few times when it was actually running out of the barrel which make me think it's an ignition problem. It throws a nice spark when I pulled the plug and ground it to the cylinder, but I have seen chainsaws do the same thing, but not fire under compression with the plug in.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure, the maximum spark advance may be adjustable, but of course that would have no effect when the throttle lever is in the "Start" range.

If it actually is backfiring through the carburetor (blowing smoke, fire, vaporized gas out of carb) that would be a pretty good indicator of a bad reed. Normally the reeds would stop the stuff from blowing out. Backfiring or sneezing within the crankcase without blowing out of the carburetor is another story.

blackoak

Cadet
I found out my problem. Every reed in it had holes ate through them. Now where can I get reeds for it???? I seen a few on Ebay but not quite like mine. Thinking about trying to make some out of feelers gauge. I have some old Homelite saw reeds around here somewhere that I may be able to rig up and work, just finding them.... [/URL

blackoak

Cadet
I made some reeds out of feelers gauge and it now runs much better. The home made reeds are not perfect, but good enough to see this little motor churn up some water in my barrel. Tomorrow it will go on a 12' Jon boat and put to the test. I'm still trying to find the correct reeds

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Clinton Engines Corporation
22563 35th Street
Maquoketa, IA 52060-8640
(563) 652-2411
They are a "cash" only place, they don't accept credit cards. If they are not there leave a message, and they do get back to you. tell them what you need, they take your order, then call you back with the price for parts and shipping.

blackoak

Cadet
Clinton Engines Corporation
22563 35th Street
Maquoketa, IA 52060-8640
(563) 652-2411
They are a "cash" only place, they don't accept credit cards. If they are not there leave a message, and they do get back to you. tell them what you need, they take your order, then call you back with the price for parts and shipping.

Thank you. I will give them a call today and see if they can get me the correct reeds