1971 Ted Williams air cooled 7HP engine repair; need help

zackduncan40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 71 ted williams 7hp outboard motor. It ran perfect and then i had a problem with dirt getting in my gas tank and i ran my motor with the dirty gas and it messed up my carburetor. I rebuilt the carburetor and now it will start up first pull and idle perfect and run perfect up to about 1/3 speed and then when you get passed that it will just die down... Any ideas on what could be wrong with it or how i can fix this?

Last edited:

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
did you replace the fuel pump bladder in the face of the carb? If so did you install it at the right angle? they are tricky

zackduncan40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Honestly I'm not really sure what the fuel pump bladder is... Can you please describe it for me or show a picture

zackduncan40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Inside of the carb? No I didn't replace it, the rebuild kit I got didn't come with one, do you think that is my problem? What should I do?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
find one on ebay and replace it. I tried to copy a picture of the page in the manual to post but it said it exceeded the size limit. When you unbolt the carb, look at the face and you will see it.Remember what angle its at and put the new one in the exact same way. Its probably weak and needs replaced.

robert graham

Admiral
Before you do that check your fuel off/on petcock for any possible restrictions and check your fuel tank vent to be sure you're getting good fuel flow....no kinks or obstructions in fuel lines?..... Carb float/needle seat is working freely?.....

zackduncan40

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes when I rebuilt it everything seemed to be working right in the carb when I rebuilt it, and I put all new fuel lines in and it is getting good fuel flow. I will try that bladder thing and see if that fixes it!