1949 Scott Atwater 493 7.5HP

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
Hello everyone, I have been a little absent recently, especially for my Lone*Star project thread. But I was at an estate auction just before the holiday and picked up a cool old outboard (along with some other goodies), a 1949 Scott Atwater 493 7.5HP Shift. I paid $35 for her and although she looks rough on the outside, it is actually in pretty good shape for not having seen the light of day for at least 10 years. The motor is free, has lots of compression, goes into F, N and R, clean gas tank, undamaged skeg and prop, no cracks anywhere. Tomorrow I am going to get actual numbers on the compression and test the spark but as long as those two things come back good; my plans on it are just going to consist of a good cleaning, new paint, carb rebuild, and just general "freshen" up. The PO at one point painted the engine cover with a green a few shades off from original and I am going to get it closer to original. I also might try and find some repro decals if I have a little money left in the budget.

I also made up a very quick workstand, consists of (3) 8' 2x4's and about (40) 2-1/2" deck screws, cost was an hour of my time and under $10 in materials, sturdy enough to hold my weight @ #210

Inside the tank:

Luke000

Restoration Forum Splash of the Year 2016
I somehow lost all of my pictures of the work I did to the motor but it is done now! I have not started it up yet besides for a quick second on a sprtiz of gas to see it it would fire (still waiting on some lubriplate 105 I ordered for the lower unit). The points were fairly dirty causing there to be no spark, but otherwise the motor was mechanically in great condition! It looks like the PO had cleaned out the carb before it was put away last time. The starboard side mounting bracket had been cracked at one time, someone started to groove out the crack to weld it, but did a poor job and abandoned the idea and made a crude reinforcing brace that they bolted on. I completed the job properly by welding the casting with a TIG. Otherwise not much needed to be done besides cleaning everything up, sanding it down and painting it. I also polished some of the parts for a nice touch.

Anyways- here are some pictures of the completed project!

Trevorpeddie

Recruit
LOOKS AWESOME!!!! COULDN'T HAVE DONE A BETTER JOB MYSELF. PROFESSIONAL LOOKING TO SAY THE LEAST. THAT MUST HAVE TAKEN A LOT OF MAN HOURS.

Trevorpeddie

Recruit
I HAVE A 1961 SCOTT MCCALLOCH 27.7 MY SELF. PICKED UP 3 OF THEM FOR $100. ONE WAS RUNNING. 2ND ONE NEEDS TO BE PUT BACK TOGETHER AND THE THIRD IS USED AS PARTS FOR NOW AS I AM STILL LEARNING MORE ABOAT THEM AND IT HAD BEEN BROKEN IN A FEW DIFFERENT PLACES.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Trevor
Drop the all caps.... READS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING

Excellent work Luke

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Trevor
Drop the all caps.... READS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING

Excellent work Luke

I must have missed hitting Post. Please drop the caps, Trevor.

The old Scott-Attwater looks really good, Luke. Nice job!