Scott Outboards Any Good?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Worth? As in you can fix em and get them running right to sell for a profit? Probably not a big money maker. Worth fixing and running on a vintage boat? Yep, sure is. Did you attempt to post pix? None came thru

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I owned a 67 McCulloch 7.5 and it was great motor, plenty of power ran like a charm. Paid 200 for it and got 400 after new paint,:D

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No profit concern. But will it sink me trying to find parts or get/keep it running?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That's kind of like asking if a Ford is any good. I've had good Fords and bad ones. What year and model? The mid to late '50's models were notorious for water pump problems. Most of them ran well. Parts? Well you won't find them at the corner gas station, but they are out there if you look hard enough in the right places.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^ and you'll need 2 things in abundance:
Patience

and

Want too

The AOMCI site may be helpful, but not really old enough or odd enough to have lots of parts For Sale ads for them. But I've seen motors posted there and Craigs, some where offered as parts motors, others were sold as running. Prices for both were very diverse.

Not every old motor is rare and worth the big money some think they should get for them.

Good luck.

I've not got any running, yet, but I like the Johnson/Evinrude spin off Gales and Buccaneers from the mid-late 50s.

Had a nice 25hp Buc get by me last summer and havent found one I'd be interested in since....

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
They were as good as any in their day. As previously noted, if you have the patience and desire, you can make it work. Starting with a basically healthy motor that needs basic tune-up stuff is a plus. Consumables like carb parts, water pump impellers, ignition bits, can be found if you look. Rebuild parts, ie. pistons, rings, etc. might be a bit harder to come by...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
In reality there are motors out there that are much newer and better and will cost about the same amount, maybe even less, to get back on the water.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Parts are out there AOMCI guys can help you. Laings outboards has water pumps points and condensers. They are good motors I have several and if you get it running you will probably be the only guy at the boat landing with one. Tell us what you have

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Actually, I have three Firestones (Scott-Atwaters in disguise). 1947 to 1954, 3.5hp, 5hp. and 10hp. They all run.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have 2-60 hp 2 -75 hp 2- 40hp 4 -16hp one with electric start. 3- 7.5 hps one has electric start. And 2-9 hp one with electric start and one 6 hp all from 1956-1968

Last edited: