Archimedes penta 90 9hp ignition timing

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone help me with the ignition timing on my 9 hp Archimedes / volvo penta? Stole a pic from the internet:

15ejrzk.jpg

2iifl13.jpg

It has a fixed timing plate which can be altered a little bit in timing. I know that there is a small chance anyone knows the exact timing but wat is a normal value for the points and the degrees before tdc for such an engine.

I got this little fellow for free and it seems to run fine and cool fine but I like to tune the ignition so that it will run more smoothly at idle.
There are no timing marks on the flywheel so I can't go from there.

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Set the points at 0.3 mm ( 0.012 inch) and the timing at 1.5 mm before top dead center (0.06 inch) runs smooth and starts in a couple pulls.

wejsunek

Cadet
Find Volvo Penta on fb... there are free repair manuals for VP 90,120 and 200 models. I have similar engine (Crescent 8hp) power head and capacity (140ccm) are identic. Points 0,4-05mm timing 2,25mm +/- 0,1mm

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also found the FB page of the volvo penta outboards and the settings. But since it ran well I decided to leave it like this. For future references it will be nice to know that there is information.