Engine cuts out after 20mins then hard to start.

rob.s.uk

Seaman Apprentice
Selva 170 9.9 cuts out after 30 minutes of use.

I've started a new topic because I've sorted out the previous problem and now have a new one. The engine will run for around 30 mins then will cut out and is a pig to start. I don't think it's fuel as I've been right through the system and I wouldn't of thought it would run for 30 mins if the fuel wasn't flowing through. Electrical problem?. If so what could be wrong?.

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
somethings getting hot possibly or the plugs are getting fouled I would imagine. Just a guess.

rob.s.uk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a selva 170 9.9. It will run in a tank fine but when used on the boat I have problems. It will start fine and run. After about 20 mins or so it will cut out and then refuses to start and if it will eventually start it won't run for long. I don't think it can be fuel because when trying to restart it stinks of fuel like it's flooding and the plugs are wet. All I can think of is an electrical problem. I have heard that the coil can break down when hot. Any ideas?.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, do check for spark when it shuts down. If the spark isn't jumping a 7/16" gap (~11mm), then you have ignition issues. And coils would be a good place to start. Of course any electrical ignition problem can be caused by heat. So don't rule out any part of the ignition until you verify the bad part(s). JMHO!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Rob
Combined the 30min and 20min runs good and dies topics...

Good luck w your motor

rob.s.uk

Seaman Apprentice
Just an update in case anyone has a similar problem. I found the issue to be overheating due to salt build up. Stripped the engine down and cleaned out. Works a treat now.