hiawatha info

remingtonboy

Cadet
I am new at this and just acquired my first vintage motor. All I know about it is that it is a hiawatha model 25-7971. I see a decal that says 2hp on it and the motor is a jet drive. Yes no prop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to restore it. Thank you!

jbcurt00

Staff member
The fellas at AOMCI would be infinitely helpful on a vintage Hiawatha.

Several of our members will hopefully be along shortly to lend a hand too..

Welcome to iboats

I can help w the motor, but certainly do like the vintage outboards. Got any pix you can post?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

There is something fishy going on with that motor. A Hiawatha model 25-7971 was a 5hp, made by Gale Products division of OMC for Gamble Skogmo dept stores. It was a Gale model 2H3. And it was NOT jet drive, nor did Gale even make jet drives. So, I don't know what your have. Probably something somebody has had fun with as they made serious modifications. I'd like to see a picture of it, if you will post it. Here is what it is supposed to look like--

Attachments

• photo233732.jpg
    photo233732.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo233733.jpg
    photo233733.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

remingtonboy

Cadet
Fishy I agree with. Everything I found with that model # says it's a 5hp but there is a decal on it that says 2hp.? Also I believe the jet may be an aftermarket bolt on. I've tried to post a pic but can't seem to figure it out. I'll try again tho

remingtonboy

Cadet
Ok this outboard has a Clinton 2hp motor on it .did hiawatha ever put Clinton motor on there outboards?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I think it is pretty far removed from the original nomenclature. Clinton did make their own motor and supplied a 5hp to Eska in 64 and 65
2 hp was made in 1970.The Guppy jet was made in mod 30 in 62 and a 30A in 63-67 using a 2.5 hp Tecumseh power head..
Eska uses the Tecumseh power heads
The 69 and 70 Hiawatha was made by Eska.If you can make the jet exit above the surface it may be marginally faster.
Your 2 hp is probably about 1.5 hp at the pump.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Posting a picture is easy on this site. First you have to have it saved somewhere on your computer. Then when you are typing a reply as I am doing right now, you will see a camera icon right above and to the left. Click on that and follow through with the prompts to upload the picture. Now..if you are doing this on a smartphone, I am a dummy at that.

remingtonboy

Cadet
Posting a picture is easy on this site. First you have to have it saved somewhere on your computer. Then when you are typing a reply as I am doing right now, you will see a camera icon right above and to the left. Click on that and follow through with the prompts to upload the picture. Now..if you are doing this on a smartphone, I am a dummy at that.

It just keeps saying that exceeds 2.0mp. Won't let me do it. Obviously I'm no computer wizard

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You will have to reduce the picture size. There are many photo editing software programs to do that. You may already have one on your computer. Have a kid take a look at it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or just put the photo in your photobucket account and paste the link here.