Briggs & Stratton outboard motor, 5 hp. no-shear pins,

ceugene

Cadet
I obtained a Briggs & Stratton five horse power outboard motor., I come to find out that these motors do not have shear pins in them. It has forward and reverse, what I need to know, is what happens should I hit a rock or log in the water? Will my prop break or what will happen to this motor without a shear pin? This has been worrying me, for I don't know what was going to happen should I hit something in the water. Can anyone help and explain to me what will happen should I get something in the water with my prop, will my prop break words or something else that's going to break in my motor? I like to take this time to thank anyone who may be able to help me out and let me know what is going to happen should I hit something. Thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Most modern outboards have no shear pin. Now they usually had a rubber hub built into the prop itself, it absorbs some of the shock when ya hit something. It won't stop things from breaking if you hit something really hard, but a shear pin wouldn't either. Usually you just ding up the prop a bit, or knock off a blade.